Couple of queries regarding pool drive replacement

Hey guys,

I woke up today to find that one of my mirrored pools had become degraded due to a failing drive. I have a pair of Samsung 980 NVMe’s in this pool, granted not exactly high endurance drives, although I was only using them for Windows VM.

I have a couple of questions.

1. I have looked around and it seems that the WD SN700 may be a good replacement, relatively inexpensive as I am only requiring a 1TB drive. What do people here think of the WD SN700?

2. I may choose to swap out the remaining working Samsung 980 to a WD SN700, at the same time, however doing so would obviously kill my pool. Would I be correct in thinking that once I have the replacement WD SN700 in the pool, I can simply allow time for the mirror process to complete, and then swap out the remaining Samsung 980 with a second SN700 and all would be well ? Just looking to essentially swap out both drives for new ones, while retaining the pool integrity and not having to re-do my VM’s.

3. I have never replaced a drive in TrueNas before, is there a recommended process of replacing a faulty pool drive?

Many thanks,
P

Yep, so long as the capacity of the SN700s is at least equal to that of your current 980s.

Yes, and it’s in the docs.

2 Likes

Thanks, I will look through the Docs and see if I can find it. This may or may not be answered in the docs but is there a way to check the re-mirroring progress once the replacement drive is installed ? I would like to double check it is done before replacing the second (currently working) samsung drive.

Thanks!

It’ll show up on the pool status page, or as a running task.

1 Like