Is it okay to buy used Network parts?

And it’s not like the actual optical transceiver hardware is that different or that FS/10Gtek/etc. don’t offer good quality, customer support, and so on.

I expect more of a bifurcation on the 10GbE copper side IF or WHEN the responsible folk figure out a way to make a 10GbE copper transceiver that doesn’t function as a room heater due to all the power it draws. That may happen in the future, ATM all of the 10GbE copper transceivers pose significant challenges for the equipment they’re installed in.

1 Like

Guys,

These enterprise grade hardware are already used in DC and other business environment to the fullest so they are sold for cheap. But does that mean the failure rate is high as they’ve been used rigorously?

No, not particularly.

2 Likes

Generally, server-grade hardware is sold for far less its original value due to newer, more performing hardware taking its place.

Yeah, correct.

To sustain the heat, do you think it’s a good choice to use the Extended Temp variant rather than the normal one? What do you suggest?

What’s the price difference? Unless you have specific temperture requirements, you usually don’t need a variant made for operating at higher than 55°C.

I’m sorry for providing information that may confuse someone. So I tried to raise several examples from my actual experience.

• I Bought two HPE 544+FLR NICs in the summer of 2022. However, one of the NICs had two damaged flash ROM pins. Even worse, the 544+ doesn’t support a single-mode QSFP+ transceiver.
  • I bought three HPE MCX653106A ECAT dual ports 100Gbps CX6 NICs in late 2023. However, burning an NVIDIA official firmware into this card was almost impossible. Someone said I could try to flash it by shorting two pins but it may have risks. These three cards are almost whole new, but OEM products always have something different from the official retailed ones.
  • I bought a used 3 meters Mellanox QSFP+ FDR DAC cable in late 2023. I want to use it to connect two switches: a Dell S4048T-ON and a CISCO N9K 92160YC-X. However, after connecting, the LEDs of the two ports never light up. After replacing it with a pair of single-mode CWDM QSFP+ transceivers, the problem was solved. The compatibility is mysterious.
  • As I mentioned before, the CISCO 92160YC-X switch is a used one. I connect an Intel E810 (H3C OEM, OCP3.0) NIC to it through SFP28 multi-mode transceivers, and the LEDs never light up. After asking many people and searching many keywords, I finally found the root cause: the lack of RS-FEC technology on the switch. I have to downgrade to 10Gbps while E810 supports 25Gbps.
  • I bought a used AWS-OEM Samsung PM983A 900GB SSD but cannot boot Debian 12 from it. After formatting it into another partition mode using nvme-tools, booting was successful.

I can give more examples based on things I don’t want to remember. I wasted a lot of time on my own on those things. If you hire an experienced professional, you can reach your goal easily. So please avoid OEM and used products if you are within your budget.

1 Like

The price difference would be somewhere like $50-70.

Well, never used SFP before so no idea what temps they will operate in my environment. However, i got to know that there are situations when it runs really hot like 70c. Although never tried, so want to buy the best i can so that i can have a seamless experience instead of tinkering.

Also, the Ext Temp variants, do they heat more because they consume more power than the normal variants? Or do they require more power as they are of high performance?

“Extended temperature” parts should be hardened parts for outdoor and/industrial deployments, where cooling may not be to the same standards as in a data centre. No impact on power use.

2 Likes

If you read my project thread, i noted down the parts i used to get my desktop pc to switch, and truenas to switch all connected via SFP+ 10g fiber optic

i listed the exact parts and the price.

You are from the US right? then at those prices i think they are rather affordable for getting into sfp+ 10g fiber optic.

If you want to cut down costs, you can opt for DAC instead of fiber optic which should cheaper. Not to mention DAC use less power and has fast latency speeds. Downside to DAC though is they run hot so you don’t want to add too many of them especially in close proximity to each other. Go with passive DAC ideally.

Active DACs are for longer distance.

I don’t know what is your distance requirement. But if it’s especially long, then fiber optic may be the way to go. But if it’s within the same rack distance, DAC is usually the go to option for that.

if you want cheap and new, 10gtek is good value.

FS dot com cost more :smiling_face_with_tear:

before purchasing anything i suggest you consult the seller whether what they recommend and what you plan to purchase if it will work for your intended networking equipment. If not then whether you can get a refund.

Most NICs from reputable manufacturers (Intel, Broadcom, etc.) have extremely long warranties…Intel used to be lifetime (I haven’t bought a new NIC in years, so I’m not sure). Any NIC that is still supported (not necessarily still manufactured) by the original manufacturer will be fine, even if it’s been used for years.

Anecdotal, but I have 10Gbase-T Intel NICs that are 10 years old that are fine. All have been running 24/7 that whole time. I’m replacing them simply because newer SFP+ NICs are cheap on the used market, use less power, and can use fiber for longer cable runs.

1 Like

Hardware generally becomes obsolete faster than it breaks, with storage maybe being the exception.

1 Like

Yes, you are right. As an experienced user, you and I can find suitable hardware on the market. However, my experiences come from learning, searching, and struggling; they are always unhappy.

If Martian brings me back to 2015, I still have no methods to get useful information. If my father is Elon Marks, maybe I can own a data center when I’m 16 years old. :frowning:

Maybe everybody is budget-limited.