Can't access my pool becouse all disks have been exported?

Unfortunately with the GUI there is no pool to select, do I type zpool import rust now?

I tried to run zpool import rust
Which gave me this:
root@truenas[~]# zpool import rust
cannot mount ‘/rust’: failed to create mountpoint: Read-only file system
Import was successful, but unable to mount some datasets

Edit 3: it appears that the pool is now resilvering (ETA9 days) so I guess i’ll just leave it be.

Truly, huge thank you to everyone <3

I do believe that my backplane is the problem as that’s the one thing i’m unsure about it’s quality. When I removed all drives from the first two shelved and only used the bottom three it could see the second light lit up on the physical drive bay which was prior to this only lit up with 1 LED.

Might as well try it.

That mountpoint is going to be a problem later when you want to actually access your files. It should be trying to mount at /mnt/rust, not /rust.
Let it resilver, but afterwards you will likely need to export the pool and then reimport the pool using the GUI to get it to mount at the proper path.

Good news. Let us know how it goes.
But do not forget to check your hardware carefully. Vdevs should not degrade “once in a while”, and drive failures should be taken care of as soon as possible.

1 Like

zpool import -o altroot=/mnt <pool>

2 Likes

So it has now finished resilvering and everything looks good.

Do i now do
zpool export rust
and then once that’s finished the below?
zpool import -o altroot=/mnt rust

You do zpool export rust and then import from the UI so the TrueNAS middleware knows about your pool.

1 Like

@pmh it seems like that’s not an option?
Screenshot 2024-07-15 at 20.14.03

This is what my storage tab looks like after the zpool export rust

You already exported it? It will only be available for import after you do that.

Yeah I just typed it in the shell and it took a very short amount of time and then I went back to storage and if you look at my edited post that’s what i saw

EDIT
Maybe I should export it via the GUI? Or should i just run zpool import -o altroot=/mnt rust?
@neofusion @etorix

Check if you can export/remove from the UI, then re-import from the UI.

I am superscared i am going to do something that will end up loosing data, so please bear with me, what options do i select here so that it’s safe to try export from gui after zpool export?

Make sure the top two are unticked and then only confirm at the bottom.

Deleting the saved configurations would not delete any of your data, but they might come in handy, if anything else is amiss after you get your NAS going again. So just keep them.

The major thing not to tick is of course “Destroy data on this pool”.

It’s been stuck at 6% for over an hour now, can I leave my computer as it is and go to bed or do i need to make sure it stays awake?

I hope your TrueNAS server does not go to sleep? Anyway unless you ticket “Destroy data” - which I assume you did not - nothing catastrophic can happen with some amount of certainty. So have a good night.

You had “apps” running on that pool obviously, which TN can now not disable, because you/we already exported the pool on the command line. That’s why it is so important to have a consistent state. I hope it will timeout and then just proceed with the export.

that’s very weird as my apps are configured to run on my pool lightning.

So my computer and TN didnt time out and yeah the server was on and doesent turn off unless i say so. it is still stuck at 6% though. Can I do something?

So to be able to export the pool through the GUI I had to unset my apps pool. After that I was able to export my pool. Once it was exported I was able to import it through the GUI and then just set the apps pool again and now everything is working like before. No problems at all with the HDDs :partying_face:

4 Likes