Excessive disk space taken by update

@dan

Thank you for this

do i will download MC

I presume I need to install this on the server

mc is pre-installed on TrueNAS

Hello all

First let me thank you for your patience, teachings and most of all for taking time during your weekend to help me

I looked at MC

I see this as a file structure and i see that under /root i have 192.168.1.120 (which is the ip address of my second server) what is it doing here?

If i drill down on this address i get /Tv Shows (which is one of my datasets)
yet /TV Shows is also a folder of /root

Furthermore i do see /mnt and all my pool

IYHO
can i delete there 2 subfolders?

i will need to further learn how to navigate MC to see the disk view

Once again thank you and I hope you all are having a great weekend

Given your lack of familiarity with SSH and MC, it might be easier for you to save the configuration from the WebUI and make a fresh installation.

Why on earth would you recommend this?

No idea. You put it there somehow.

Yes, if you donā€™t need them. Or move them to wherever they belong on your pool.

If heā€™s not comfortable with the terminal, putting the boot drive into a Windows machine and making a fresh installation after formatting it might be easier for him. Since he doesnā€™t appear to understand whatā€™s going on inside his boot drive it might be faster for all parties.

Thank you all

I would agree that with my very limited knowledge It will be easier to just trash all this and do a fresh install on both servers.

Since this was all caused by learning snapshots and replication

Do i really need to configure ACLs since it is just me can i ger away with just configuring permissions without acls

Once again thank you all

To be clear: You are fine with permanently deleting the 56 GiB worth of files from the /root/ folder?

Yeah, 56 GB is not a trivial amount of stuff. Iā€™d be weary of nuking it unceremoniously.

1 Like

Did you try to backup or transfer those datasets to 192.168.1.120 somehow?

@Stux

Thank you for the heads up

I tried to ssh into truenas and tried to delete the files located in the /root directory. Permission denied.

Therefore have decided to rebuild both servers. The pools on both servers are OK

My plan
1 backup truenas configurations on both server to separate USBs
2 Backup configuration for Home Assistant and proxmox (already done)
3 replace ssd with larger one on proxmox server
4 reconfigure VM disk allocation offering Truenas 250GB
5 Install proxmox on second server and replicate server 1 configurations
5 reinstall and apply what i have learned to both truenas servers

This should create a rock solid home environment (until i screw it up again)

Once again thank you all @Stux. @ericloewe @dan @winnielinnie @Davvo for all your help,time and patience

You likely have to sudo.

Thank you

Hello all

Just to update

Thankfully I found out that my SSD dive itself was not fully utilised, only fully allocated.

As you all may already know in Proxmox 8 one may resize the HD allocation of a VM

but for those who do not know (like myself) this is what i ended up doing
In proxmox
1 stop the vm
2 select hardware
3 select you disk (in my case (SCSI0))
4 select disk action from the to menu
5 select resize
6 insert increment
7 Save
8 restart vm

This only works if space on ssd is available. In my case i did not know that the allocation of the disk size was hard coded,

In fact I found out that the allocation of disk space when creating a VM is only indicating the maximum disk space that the VM can use.

In my case I over allocated disk space to each of the other wms (which that will never use.

Therefore Iā€™m safe i allocating additional disk space to the trunas scale vm.

This is not a permanent solution. It only provides additional time to source the new components and properlan and execute my plan above

I hope that this will help another newbie like myself

Again Thank you all to your help

You should delete the data on the boot pool though, itā€™s not where it belongs.

Yeah. Really, this has been overcomplicated. Once OP determined that the space was used by data that heā€™d put on the boot pool, the answer is simply to move it where it belongs, or (if itā€™s already there, or if the dataā€™s disposable) just delete it. Thatā€™s it. Midnight Commander isnā€™t hard to use.

3 Likes

@Davvo

Thank you

I played with MC and trough trial and error I manage to delete folder /192.168.1.120 and folder /Tv Shows and al the content.

However i did not learn how to access the content of a specific disk ā€œSDAā€

This did free up some space. however i still show 63gb in SD3 which is part of the boot-pool SDA

I do not have the warnings I received before and that is a good thing. This will take the pressure of having to do the rebuild now

Once again thank you all

From the Screenshots I see you have data directly on the boot pool, meaning ./: you have to delete anything that you are sure is a TV show or similar.

You will need to mount SDA3 to a folder to be able to see what it contains using MC.
sudo mount /dev/sda3 /media Should work for you, in Truenas the media folder is normally empty. You might check first though.

No, it wouldnā€™t. sda3 is part of the boot pool; itā€™s already mounted.

1 Like