Install RTL8125 NIC driver on CORE

Ok, so someone who demonstrated rank incompetence re fiber should be invited back into the house after he smushed every fiber combination he got his hands on?

All my structured wiring is embedded in foam-filled walls. There are no do overs, I got ONE chance per drop to make a working fix, no more. One of my office drops was too short and could no longer be terminated without opening the wall, adding a splice / patch and then closing up the wall again.

I am a glutton for punishment at times but there is a limit.

1 Like

They break something, they pay for it; if they are not able to fix it themselves, they pay for someone to fix it… or, they rembourse you.

…and now I think you see why running the cabling in conduit might have been a good idea. But I suppose we’re getting rather far afield of OP’s question.

3 Likes

I use a 2.5Gbe RTL8125 device on both my SCALE boxes. Zero issues here so far, but don’t jinx me now :slight_smile:

5 Likes

lol. In Europe, maybe. Loser pays court cases and all that.

I am very happy with said electrician re his high and low voltage electrical work and at the same time will never endorse him for anything related to fiber.

Pick your battles.

Remind me again why our species never normalized the concept of wiring inside the living space? Because of aesthetics? “It doesn’t look nice!”

It’s not far-fetched to have decorative trim that runs along the corners and edges of walls, in which electric and network wiring is protected with a conduit, and can be easily access from different junction boxes. Who cares if it means you’ll lose some inches to hang paintings on your walls…

This whole idea of hiding things in the wall cavity, or attic, or crawlspace… why did this become the standard?

1 Like

Hey @kayalan

The RTL8125 driver is present in CORE but disabled by default due to a data integrity issue when using iSCSI. If you don’t use iSCSI, then you can enable it by using the following method from the shell or CLI:

root@truenas[~]# cli

> system
system> tunable
system tunable> create var=if_re_load value=YES type=LOADER enabled=true
system tunable> create var=if_re_name value="/boot/modules/if_re.ko" type=LOADER enabled=true
system tunable> exit

Reboot after entering these lines, and your Realtek NIC should be functional.

4 Likes

Hi,

it worked … I´m not pretending use iSCSI …

many tks for the tip …

regards

I have been thinking about that for a long time myself but never made the jump. I have an X550-T2 in my pfSense box but never had any issue with it. It just works. Maybe at some point in time i will throw in a SFP+ but i need to do more research because at this point in time, i don’t even know if i can connect an SFP+ on my router directly to the SFP port of my switch.

The X550, funnily enough, is just about the only NIC capable of 2.5GBase-T, besides the embedded versions in Xeon-D and Atom SoCs, which actually works.

3 Likes

The house I grew up in, had single wall construction. Basically 3/4" tongue & groove boards. With the boards embedded in base plate and top plate. The wiring was in a wood channel above the floor molding. Switches also used the same molding, run up beside the door frames. Of course all the outlet & switch boxes were finished type, designed to be screwed on top of the wall, not in the wall.

Lots of houses there had similar construction. Obviously not cold or hot climate. (The windows were mostly louvered, that did not seal perfectly.) Place was designed long before wired Internet even existed. (And I actually had borrowed a network attached terminal, in that home, before the Internet existed… yes, I am that old :-()

2 Likes