LTT DOES NOT fork TrueNAS

Isn’t that how investments work (I’m a bit ignorant on how the world works). Don’t people put up a ton of cash for a developer or two to code for a few years and the investor just sits back and hopes they make something “good ‘nuff” to get their money back? …the investor doesn’t need all that money do they?

I think iX is involved with this somehow. Something seems shady.

Amateur investors throw money at a poorly defined problem without a good, well-estimated project plan and without a business plan that shows how they will get their money back and then some, and then they sit back and hope that it will all come good without them providing any direction or control.

Professional investors have done their homework, they know EXACTLY what they are going to deliver, have researched how to do it and estimated how much effort it will take, they have thought hard and have a plan on how to make money from it, and they exercise a lot of control over the execution of the plan to ensure it stays on track and the payback will arrive. (Of course, unknown issues may throw things off - but believe me they have a plan to execute and do whatever they can to make sure it does get executed and not thrown off course.)

I would personally say that the project would have a lot greater chance of success if this were true - but I can see zero reasons why iX would do this and even if they did zero reasons why they would do it in secret.

2 Likes

Correct. In the same way that Linus is invested in Framework - I’m sure he’s not a silent partner by any stretch, but ultimately he’s not the one developing anything, a different company is, a company that he presumably owns a stake in.

I am actually not sure LTT has promoted much of anything here, what we’re seeing is a small section on “The WAN show”, which is a weekly show/podcast where they discuss lots of different tech news. Investment or not, a new player in the NAS space is the kind of thing they would mention on the show. However, unless I am mistaken they’re not telling anyone to try HexOS, sign up for it or anything like that, it’s more of a “Here’s a thing that exists, watch this space”.

Nothing has been announced in this area yet. I’m also curious as to how it’ll be funded. My bet is a subscription model.

I actually don’t think Unraid was their preference. I think Unraid, as good as it is today, is actually a bit of a dead end. More recent versions of Unraid are trying to leverage ZFS, but this model doesn’t quite gel with the array system Unraid is known for, so they’re having to rework a lot of the UI and UX to make it work. I think the writing is on the wall for Unraid’s non-RAID method as storage sizes increase, it doesn’t scale all that well. ZFS is future proof and while it’s complex compared to Unraid or even traditional RAID, I think most peope can see what way the wind is blowing.

I don’t think building NAS software is ever Easy, at least not good software, but I don’t understand why you think using TrueNAS as a base makes things “harder” in any capacity?

Completely agreed. The success or failure of HexOS will come down to how good that user experience is. I think it can be done, but I don’t know if what we’ve seen of HexOS so far is indicative of success. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating, I suppose.

I think by this point ZFS is well understood by most competent users. ZFS support was in development for Unraid for many years before the recent releases and there was even a ZFS plugin for Unraid for those that wanted to use it, so I wouldn’t dismiss the HexOS developers’ abilities in this area so quickly. Also I believe HexOS has been in development for quite some time now, I believe one of the developers left Limetech about 2 years ago.

I would love to know more here, what makes you think something “shady” is going on - with or without iX’s involvement?

2 Likes
Actual entity behind the HexOS endeavour
  • Skeletor
  • A Goa’uld
  • Wilson Fisk
  • The King in Yellow
  • Skrulls
  • James Moriarty
  • The Cigarette Smoking man
0 voters

Morgan’s said in this thread (and even changed the title of the thread without asking me) that this isn’t a TrueNAS fork. He’s much more clear about what this isn’t than about what it is.

It’s obvious from this thread that they know more than they’re saying. Why the mystery, I don’t know. But they’re clearly involved in some way.

It’s pretty reasonable to assume there is some sort of NDA around whatever work is being done between HexOS and TrueNAS, especially given their caginess around the subject.

2 Likes

Please, everyone knows the Goa’uld have been in complete disarray for close to two decades now. It’s not like you have a two-bit player who got stuck here when the gate was buried and ended up starting cults; or a System Lord breaking off and assuming the public persona of a tech mogul.

4 Likes

Who doesn’t want to be a tech mogul!

Well, I guess it does give you a measure of protection against being disappeared by Uncle Sam.

That is what Linus said in his WAN show broadcast.

Make of that what you will.

1 Like

So, few bits of context…

Unraid recently changed the “terms of the deal”, ie they’re moving towards an annual subscription model… this is a bit of an issue in the unraid community… cue annoyed unraid devs I guess.

Secondly, Linus has quite publicly (and painfully) switched from unraid to truenas at this point

Thirdly, it’s obvious to anyone that TrueNAS is really not a grandma friendly piece of software.

—-

I think this is just Linus putting his money where his mouth is.

And if it’s powered by TrueNAS and NOT a fork, and iX has some sort of deal with HexOS and HexOS is essentially Easy Mode TrueNAS, then that sounds awesome.

And it sounds like they could just use Unraid’s original business model and everyone would be happy.

4 Likes

The thing that would make a lot of sense for HexOS would be a fresh GUI for the existing middleware/API. That would give the app compatibility Morgan mentions, it would allow for the UI to assume or suggest certain things, and it certainly could give, within limits, an EasyNAS. If they did it right, you could even download a config from HexOS and upload it to TrueNAS.

The problem with this guess is that it’s been reported that HexOS isn’t using the TrueNAS middleware. Maybe that reporting is in error. But if not, that’s a lot more work for the new devs to do.

1 Like

Misreported is my guess, by people who don’t know the difference between the middleware and the web ui.

Have a look at this post… and it’s “likes”

1 Like

So my 20 x 2TB RZ3 pool would not get your seal of approval?

too wide.

better to use 2x 10-way RaidZ2 in my opinion.

better still, 3x 7-way

but to each his own

The quote from oracle is:

If you are creating a RAID-Z configuration with many disks, consider splitting the disks into multiple groupings. For example, a RAID-Z configuration with 14 disks is better split into two 7-disk groupings. RAID-Z configurations with single-digit groupings of disks commonly perform better.

1 Like

Well hexos certainly have an opportunity to provide a plug-and-play system that fits 80% of the average nas user use case.

One area that definitely could be improved is backup and restore system specifically for applications. Ix is developing a backup and restore system however don’t believe it’ll be per application. One application has an issue you may have to restore all applications… Yuck if that’s true.

Is 20 enough to start thinking about draid?

Still too few.

2 Likes

Screams in failure curve.

https://jro.io/r2c2/