MacOS: "preparing to move..." folders between directories in the SAME truenas share. Why is this taking so long?

Thank you for the explanation. So are nested data sets a problem? I have one such set for Time Machine users where there is a (master?) dataset that contains multiple datasets arranged by user below.

Is that OK as long as the master dataset is merely there as a read-only mount point for backup purposes?

This would be a great call-out to have in the TrueNAS documentation on datasets. I don’t remember seeing any cautions against this when reading up on things before jumping in. Checking it out now, the only mention of nesting (that I’m aware of) is just a 1-liner in the beginning that you can:

A TrueNAS dataset is a file system within a data storage pool. Datasets can contain files, directories, and child datasets, and have individual permissions or flags.

Generally I’d love more exploration of why you should (or not) make certain choices laid out in the documentation. Oftentimes it’s self-evident what something is. I’m reading the documentation to understand whether I should.

Thanks for the insights, @awalkerix!

1 Like

To give a shortened summary of this entire thread: Surprise! my folders were NOT on the same dataset!

Moving data between a parent and child datasets still qualifies as “Between datasets”. All the usual verification applies, which takes time.

Also – and I think this was my biggest gripe – you will write a local copy before moving any data between datasets on a mac. Even if the two datasets are on the same remote host. that’s a 10 year old SO post, but it’s still happening so I guess it’s still an issue? SMBv3 should avoid that kind of thing, but I wasn’t seeing it.

1 Like