'Out of space' MacOS error (code 100060) when moving files around on the same dataset

The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code 100060)

This has been popping up intermittently when moving artist discographies around on my Music share. If it matters, my workflow is

1. Download files on my client (laptop)
  2. Drag downloaded folders into my Library dataset to a generic staging folder
  3. Prepare the files and then pull them into my main “Music” dataset.

Step 3 is where this problem occurs.

EDIT: I may have lied, my directory structure is

• Library (data set & SMB share)
    • _sort (generic folder)
    • Music (dataset)

So I guess I might be moving files between different datasets?

I am surprised because I have plenty of space, the activity occurs within the NAS itself, and within the same dataset.

Additional context if relevant:

• Never had this problem happen when moving files from my laptop client to my NAS
  • I have, however, received a possibly similar error when trying to move files from my android phone to my NAS via owlfiles (Error: isn’t moved successfully)

I’m running Truenas Scale 23.10.2 on some ancient consumer hardware (maybe this is the culprit?)

• Motherboard: Asus ABBXM-Plus w/ 32GB of generic DDR3-1600 RAM (non-ecc). Realtek gigabit ethernet controller :frowning:
  • CPU: AMD A8-5600K
  • SSD Bootdrive
  • HDD: 6x16TB WD HC550 Ultrastar Drives, plugged straight into the motherboard. No HBA.
  • PSU: Corsair RM750X

Independent of whether this error is caused by my old hardware, This build was a freebie pickup that got me started. I wonder whether it’s time to upgrade to a more modern or stable platform now that I’m depending on it.

What is the output of zpool list poolname?

NAME    SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  CKPOINT  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP    HEALTH  ALTROOT
pool1  87.3T  3.75T  83.6T        -         -     0%     4%  1.00x    ONLINE  /mnt

Are you using “quotas” on any datasets?

1 Like

Re: quotas, not unless I made a mistake somewhere. I will check, but am 99.9% sure I’ve never set one for this exact reason.

I’ve updated the OP to clarify that this is an intermittent error. It can pop up if I’m moving a single folder over and I’m not sure why that’s the case. Could this be a RAM issue?

Looking more closely at my Library and Music datasets, they both say:

User Quotas: Quotas set for 2 users
Group Quotas: Quotas set for 1 group

But when clicking on the “Manage User\Group Quotas” link, it doesn’t show any records. Likewise, dataset space management pages show nothing beyond the standard capacity settings. Pics attached .

Set the slider on the top right “show all group/users”.
Also, please put your signature inside [details="Summary"]This text will be hidden[/details].

I would find it surprising.

Thanks Davvo, I was looking for a way to DM you and figure out how you got your collapsing sig!

No quotas set for any users or groups in the parent Library or child Music datasets

It’s quite puzzling, and it feels like a SMB bug… would not be the first time with macOS.
How is the share configured?

How much free space do you have on your client?

about 100GB of free space on the client. The share is pretty bog standard as far as the setup went. Default share parameters and no advanced settings as far as I can tell. Here’s what is checked off:

Access

• Enable ACL
  • Browsable to Network Clients

Other Options

• Enable Shadow Copies
  • Enable Alternate Data Streams
  • Enable SMB2/3 Durable Handles

All other options are unchecked.