Tailscale fails to deploy

Ahh yes, thanks for reminding me: I remember that video from several months ago. I used it to set up the truecharts (tc) instance, to which I easily connected my tablets and phones. It all worked perfectly with TrueNAS advertising as an exit node and the route of 192.168.1.0/24 exposing what I wanted.

I have still failed to get the truenas (tc) tailscale app working, but these are the steps I have attempted.

• I stopped the working tailscale app.

• I stopped and deleted the “deploying” tn app and reinstalled it.

• I stopped and deleted the “deploying” tn app and reinstalled it again.

• I found the container image in the tn UI docker.io/tailscale/tailscale:v1.68.1 and deleted it

• I reinstalled the tn app and tried again.

• I searched for “tailscale” in the containers and found two unlabelled containers (SHA256 listed only) and checked and checked again that these two were showing up when searching for tailscale" … I then deleted these two

• I reinstalled the tn app and tried again. It stuck on “deploying”.

• I stopped and deleted the “deploying” tn app and reinstalled it again.

• I stopped and deleted the “deploying” tn app and reinstalled it again, this time removing any advertised routes.

• I stopped and deleted the “deploying” tn app and reinstalled it again, this time deciding not to advertise as an exit node.

• I stopped and deleted the “deploying” tn app and reinstalled it again, this time without any advertised routes and also deciding not to advertise as an exit node.

• I stopped and deleted the “deploying” tn app and reinstalled it again, this time without any advertised routes and also deciding not to advertise as an exit node and also unselecting “run as userspace”.

• I confirmed there weren’t any “residual” containers left over when I searched them again for “tailscale”

• I installed the tc tailscale with the settings borrowed from the video, like I did before Christmas, and it installed and it is running; my devices are connected to tailscale but, this time, the TN is not being seen as an exit node even though it is set to do so and the settings are the same as before (I took a screenshot so I could copy them, when I uninstalled it earlier today).

• I generated a new TS auth key and used it in the tc app - all OK now - perhaps this is the problem I have been experiencing all along. Perhaps I needed a new auth key when I tried the tn app.

• I reinstalled the tn app again but this time I used this new key, having set the key to be re-usable, and the tn app fired up into “running” after a few seconds and I can see it in the tailscale web dashboard and my phones and tablets are connected and using it as an exit node. Problem solved for me : employ a reusable Tailscale key

None of this is mission critical for me so it has only been some hobby frustration/success/education, but if I can usefully report some logs to a bug tracker somewhere, please let me know where and what to do.

EB, running Dragonfish-24.04.1.1