5x / 6x / 8x SATA M.2 PCIe Cards

I do not know what the moderators think, but I believe it’s this community role to educate about ZFS and share experience about TN. Using unsupported configurations has been proven multiple times to result in data loss.

As stated, we welcome any user with different experiences here, especially so I would say. The catch is that, like any peer discussion in the scientific world, said user has to bring convincing proof/evidence about its point in order to challenge established paradigms born from others’ experiences.

Well, look again then :slight_smile:
And imho, which I believe many share, “a simple google search” is not really helpful… you have to be more specific, or post links. We need to understand where you are pulling your data from or based on whom opinion and which steps and conditions they used.

What a pity, without communication we cannot resolve anything and come to understand each other. If you are going to give feedback about some users or the community in general I would appreciate you to follow through the entire process.

Well… I likely should have used “We” instead since my point is that on this community we do not do such things (hence the “here” at the end of the sentence). I apologize if I have come offensive to you, it wasn’t my intention. English is tricky.
Besides, there are better options than ZFS and TN for non-critical data storage. OMV is just one example.

I would love you posting about it and sharing your experience here, proving us wrong in a respectful way. I would also appreciate you leaving such passive-aggressive tone out.

ASM1166 is useful on at least TN Scale, but only with cooling. I can’t imagine these work well with all drives populated. one of these M.2 adapters might be a useful product on it’s own but sticking 4 of them on a pcie card is a remarkably stupid use of a pcie slot.

regarding the “debate” above, if someone didn’t validate that their hardware worked before they trusted it, that’s on them… but telling a user that “product x” is the only way to slice a cake is even worse IMO. you give the new user the advice to test it, not a rant.

case and point… I used USB multi-bay yottamaster "JBOD"s for some time before I was able to build out my SAS JBODs, was it fast? no of course not. was it stable and did I test it before hand? yes.

and also it’s probably worth acknowledging why these M.2 adapters exist, Intel and AMD haven’t moved an inch on giving better PCIe distribution on consumer platforms as they are in an oligopoly in selling things for useless OEMs (who struggle to even implement a reference design correctly). in a perfect world these M.2 adapters wouldn’t exist, just like the tri-mode garbage we all know of I’m sure.

it’s also probably worth noting that the ASM controllers don’t even support FIS based port multiplier protocol, so they are usually not used in such controller cards… you will usually see SIL (in older hardware) or JMicron (in newer hardware).

1 Like

I agree - you can say that the tried and tested solution is HBA (and give several varied examples), and then say that others might work (and these are the technical details you need to check) but they might alternatively cause data corruption or performance bottlenecks. Then people can make an informed decision.

Or, another way of looking at this is that discussion is good, and that guidelines are good but guidelines not gospel.

(And if @kris is willing publicly to state that he has found non-guideline solutions to work and be suitable for him, that is IMO a good enough example to show that censorship is NOT the way to go on these forums.)

Imho there was no rant, but a series of answers providing reasons why said products (port multipliers) are not compatible with ZFS.
New users usually seek help from more experienced/knowledgable people, thus the answer of “port multipliers are not supported” which is generally followed through a link to the in-depth resource about it that gives anyone the possibility to explore the point.

Imho, @ericloewe moderation note was justified by @William_Steele posts, particularly since they come off with a troll-ish, passive-aggressive behaviour: requiring hard facts and technical knowledge instead of going down the rabbit hole of “I can do whatever I want, you need to stop telling me what to do” would have prevented the development of this topic to this point.

This forum and its community is (was) not reddit.

1 Like

while I would agree that port multipliers are suboptimal, ASM controllers are not port multipliers and they don’t support even support them, that discussion doesn’t apply to this thread which is surprising that I haven’t seen anyone mention it?

instead I think it might be more productive to explain to a new user they better off with an HBA in the long run, or something along those lines?

I suggest you to start reading this topic from the beginning because we talked about ASMedia :slight_smile:
This topic current perception might be very diffrent from what was actually written. Unecessary drama and questionable behaviour was added to the discussion.

1 Like

I do see more of that now, the infinite scrolling forum was not jumping where it was expected when I first looked which admittedly is my fault for not checking. apologies.

1 Like

No problem, it’s totally understandable and actually relatable: I have troubles as well navigating this discussion… especially from mobile.

3 Likes

It’s actually worse than this because the whole page is NOT kept in browser memory - just a scrolling window so if you want to use the browser’s Find functionality (as opposed to the site’s Find functionality) then it doesn’t work.

I know that the Discourse software has to deal with hugely long pages and so probably needs some sort of scroll windowing functionality, but modern browsers are designed to deal with very long pages and this one isn’t really that long. (This is only comment 92 not number 9992.)

1 Like

I do not know what the moderators think, but I believe it’s this community role to educate about ZFS and share experience about TN. Using unsupported configurations has been proven multiple times to result in data loss. As stated, we welcome any user with different experiences here, especially so I would say.

If someone like a moderator wants supporting evidence when discussing a topic where nobody else is really doing so than politely ask. I did mention my source, the ACHI specification. My guess is @ericloewe wanted a link otherwise he wouldn’t have made a threat of taking action. And threatening suspending an account over that is uncalled for. There’s almost a false false equivalence being made by many which is, using Truenas on supported hardware will work and therefore using it on unsupported hardware won’t work at all. Without a doubt many many people are using Truenas on unssupported hardware and configurations where it is working exceptionally well, myself included. I would also argue that there are plenty of instances where hardware that was once unsupported over time became supported and without people testing it undertanding where the issues were would have remained unsupported.

The catch is that, like any peer discussion in the scientific world, said user has to bring convincing proof/evidence about its point in order to challenge established paradigms born from others’ experiences.

This is another false equivalence. I have a degree in physics with ample experience in the scientific community. This is a forum, not a scientific journal. The majority of opinions on here are based on anecdotal evidence. So even if you are arguing something you deem to be “established”. It’s generally established opinion based on nothing but anecdotal evidence which is not the basis for science like dialog. I am happy however to reference my opinion supporting claims with specificity if politely requested, not threats of sanction by a moderator and the need to provide evidence goes both ways if you are talking about established “opinion” or consensus based on only anecdotal evidence. Additionally, specific citations, such as links or a literary reference are not usually required for information which is expected to be generally known on a topic or if the statement itself references a publication. In this case a publication being the AHCI specification. If it was generally expected to include references in responses on this forum I would have expected to see a single one on this thread that wasn’t just links to other posts and forums.

Well, look again then :slight_smile:
And imho, which I believe many share, “a simple google search” is not really helpful… you have to be more specific, or post links. We need to understand where you are pulling your data from or based on whom opinion and which steps and conditions they used.

Again, politely ask, not threaten suspension. IMHO when someone mentions the specification for something it is pretty easy to go look it up especially when you have the time to disect replies and respond paragraph by paragraph. When “we” are discussing something that is unsupported it should be on both people in the debate to support their “opnions”. Being a moderator doesn’t make your word gospel. Either way, if you are moderator, there is no reason to be rude or threatening about it.

What a pity, without communication we cannot resolve anything and come to understand each other. If you are going to give feedback about some users or the community in general I would appreciate you to follow through the entire process.

If multiple parties disagree without much concession and the original topic is not really being discussed anymore and people are arguing the same things in a neverending cycle it might be time to move on. Case and point.

Well… I likely should have used “We” instead since my point is that on this community we do not do such things (hence the “here” at the end of the sentence). I apologize if I have come offensive to you, it wasn’t my intention. English is tricky.
Besides, there are better options than ZFS and TN for non-critical data storage. OMV is just one example.

I don’t think your use of the English language caused any comfusion. Better solution than ZFS depends on the individual user and use case. I’ve not only been using Truenas professionally for enterprise clients as well as personally, but I have been ZFS development since the gluster days. I probably as well informed as most of you. Sure, if you want to make that suggestion to a newbie or someone just curious about it that might make sense, but as I have reiterated many times I am not a novice to Truenas or ZFS in general. Additionally someone new to Truenas may ignore your advice to use a different platform because they are a DIY’er and a tinkerer like myself. Truenas can and does often run beautifully on commody hardware. It’s unfortunate that you actualy think me doing so would actually be “proving you wrong” as there are plenty of examples of people sucessfully running Truenas in unsupported configurations on commodity hardware. Nobody is saying it’s equally as reliable or robust as enterprise hardware, but I don’t need to have servers with SAS HBA to get reliable well performing results from Truenas for home use as long as I understand the risks and plan accordingly. It my experience Truenas has been far more reliable than any off the shelf NAS appliance I have used from Drobo, QNAP, Synology and Western Digital. An honestly that should make the Truenas community feel pretty good instead of insessintly discouraging using it on anything but enterprise hardware. Say your peace that it’s unsupported and won’t be as robust or reliable as running enterprise hard and has a higher risk of resulting in data loss and move on. Not everyone needs to spend hours debating it.

I will document and post on here too so I can listen to a whole bunch of ridicule me on why I shouldn’t be dong that.

It woulnd’t be proving anyone wrong or right. It would be merely sharing in the experience and what is possible with Truenas. Everybody has their own opinions on acceptable risk for home lab use, you can’t really prove anyone right or wrong here. I haven’t been disrespectful. We are typing in a forum and tone can be difficult to asertain. While I have sensed a kind of snarky and arrogant tone from some, nobody on this thread, including myself deserves to be suspended or reprimanded based on what has been said.

We were specifically talking about port multipliers inside PCIe to SATA adapters. :slight_smile:

Imho, @ericloewe moderation note was justified by @William_Steele posts, particularly since they come off with a troll-ish, passive-aggressive behaviour: requiring hard facts and technical knowledge instead of going down the rabbit hole of “I can do whatever I want, you need to stop telling me what to do” would have prevented the development of this topic to this point.
This forum and its community is (was) not reddit.

I have to wholheartedly disagree with you. The tone coming from @ericloewe was agressive and rude from the beginning. Many others are still trying to argue wtih me, someone who has ample experience with Truenas and ZFS. The arrogance has toned down quite a bit but we are still debating something that is really kind of moot at this point in addition to having also gone way off topic. I stand by my comments with maybe the exception of where I could have used the word “complaining” in place of another word. Looking at a specific reply on here doesn’t give the whole context and I think somebody already said that. That said, I appealed the ban and am back and I’d prefer to discuss the original topic instead of rehashing who’s wrong and right all day. However, if I am going to be called out by saying that the suspension was justified I am going to have to push back on that.

This needs to be clarified: No threats of suspension were made. You were immediately given a temporary suspension [1] for inappropriate behavior (several inappropriate posts were deleted, including from a sockpuppet account). You want to complain about my decisions, fine, but stop playing the victim.

If you find my posts here “aggressive and rude”, you really need to do some introspection on how you participate in discussions online. Because parachuting in and berating everyone who was participating in a civil, technical discussion is rather unpleasant.

Then do so. Spare us your incessant rants about how TrueNAS doesn’t support “port multiplication” (both FreeBSD and Linux support the port multipliers part of the AHCI spec, it’s the hardware that doesn’t - as evidenced by user experiences and hardware datasheets linked above), about how X solution worked out fine for you (that’s nice, write a blog post about it or something, to actually document what you did and did not do), about how everyone is conspiring against Y solution (the first half of this thread is an open discussion about these quasi-jelly bean AHCI controllers!)…

If you want to actually advance the discussion, show us the users who’ve experienced using these things - good or bad. Show us why the null hypothesis (“These things are worthless”) is wrong.

1. Due to a momentary brainfart, the suspension was significantly longer than intended, until Monday rather than about a day. I do apologize for that mistake. ↩︎

3 Likes

My personal opinion, for what it is worth (which is probably not a lot), is that Eric Loewe’s moderation was extremely heavy handed, tantamount to censorship, entirely inappropriate, and (if what William Steele has said is true - I have no view either way because there is no independent evidence either way) when William got his ban rescinded by ixSystems management, then for Eric not to accept this but instead to ban his IP in apparent retaliation is utterly inappropriate.

Normally, the context of the moderation would be important, but in this case actually I think that Eric’s comments here are entirely self-evident and don’t require context for some people to think that the moderation was unacceptable:

I would also note that Eric is demanding citations from other people and yet when it comes to his own claims that rules were broken he wasn’t willing or able or bothered about citing which rules had been broken or why. I believe that a moderator needs to have the confidence of the community, and that hypocrisy like this quickly trashes that trust.

The only hypocrisy I see in this thread is from @William_Steele.
As far as I am concerned, @ericloewe and the other moderators have my full confidence.

P.S. There are certainly comments missing from this thread. I haven’t checked every single one but comments 49, 50 and 51 are missing (immediately after the first of Eric’s posts I just quoted) - so it seems likely that these are the comments that Eric is claiming were inappropriate and / or from a sock-puppet account.

Unfortunately, Eric having deleted these comments, it is not possible for non-administrators to see this evidence. Again, Eric is demanding evidence from others for their comments, but deleting evidence to support his own.

It is therefore difficult for others to determine whether Eric’s actions deserve support or condemnation - and in the absence of evidence there should IMO be the (normal) presumption of innocence.

It is the forums’ longstanding policy that inappropriate writings that are hidden from public view are not again made public to satisfy curiosity or other interest. You’ll have to take my word and that of the rest of the mod team for it.

This is not at all what happened. At least one sockpuppet account was created, so it was necessary to ban the IP address to prevent additional such accounts from being created. This was immediately after the suspension was issued and before anything could be reviewed by anyone.

Your point is interesting, but I’m afraid I don’t have a good option to offer you. I guess I’d point that in the most damning (to me) version of the story, a user’s temporary suspension was lifted and their posts remained deleted after being reviewed by whoever else.

2 Likes

And FWIW, I can confirm this, as I responded to that account. As to the rest, well, Discourse’s ignore list isn’t quite as effective as XenForo’s, but it’s working pretty well.

1 Like

I have not attempted to analyse William Steele’s comments - but to the limited degree I have read them they do appear to be a little over-sensitive and defensive.

However, I have seen many times before both heavy handed moderation and the unintended consequences on the willingness of the community to contribute to a censored environment, and this seems to me to be another example to add to my list. There were many ways of handling this as a moderator - Eric could, for example, have edited the posts he objected to or felt were against the rules and made it clear that they were inaccurate or from sock-puppets etc. - he did NOT need to delete them.

If Eric disagreed with William’s views, he could articulate his own views and if the community agreed with Eric rather than William then Eric would have got all the support he needed to get across what the consensus opinion is and that William’s views were in a minority or wrong or whatever. (I have no doubt that Eric has a lot of TrueNAS experience and knowledge and that he could articulate this if he wanted.)

IMO / IME censorship is a slippery slope that needs to be avoided if at all possible.