Access Vikunja CLI in TrueNAS installed from app store

I installed Vikunja from the TrueNAS apps catalog and am trying to access the CLI of the app - but cannot see how to do so. When I try to open the CLI for the various containers for the app,

I can’t find the one that allows me to use the commands listed here:
https://vikunja.io/docs/cli/#using-the-cli-in-docker

I checked all six containers and none allow me to run any docker commands - same goes for the shell for the TrueNAS system as a whole. So how do I access these commands??

Why would you want to run Docker commands inside one of the containers?

…which is to be expected, because TrueNAS doesn’t use Docker.

Which commands, exactly?

If you setup a docker machine in a sandbox, then you can run docker commands

The app catalog allows the installation of Vikunja, but the developers do not have a UI for admin purposes, necessitating the use of the CLI to do basic user administration. The specific commands I am hoping to execute for in the appropriate container are the following:
https://vikunja.io/docs/cli/#using-the-cli-in-docker

Well, you aren’t running Vikunja in Docker, so you shouldn’t be trying to follow instructions that assume you are.

The app catalog allows the installation of Vikunja, but the developers do not have a UI for admin purposes, necessitating the use of the CLI to do basic user administration. In my case, I have a user account where I need to reset the password. However, the SMTP isn’t configured correctly nor is this pointing to a public URL. The specific commands I am hoping to execute for in the appropriate container are the following:

$ vikunja user list

etc.

TrueNAS scale appears to have several Docker images and K8s containers running, when I select ‘manage container images’ on ‘Settings’ dropdown in the Applications page I can see that vikunja’s main container is tagged docker.io/vikunja/api:0.22.1, whereas the smbplugin is shown tagged as registry.k8s.io. If this isn’t a Docker image, what is it?

The vikunja cli runs inside the container.

The docker commands “docker exec” is just imvoking the vikunja cli in the vikunja container.

The same can be done with the k3s hosted vikunja container too, but not using docker commands.

Never said it wasn’t, but it isn’t running under Docker–TrueNAS apps have never run under Docker, though they’ll start to under 24.10.

Enter the appropriate container, and find the path to the Vikunja binary in there.

Or just ignore the apps ecosystem since iX is getting rid of it anyway, install Docker in a sandbox, and go from there.

1 Like

Ah - interesting! What is prompting iX to move away from that ecosystem?

User preference. The community said they prefer it over k3s.

To be clear, we’re not “getting rid of” the Apps ecosystem or page - we’re simply changing the back-end from the more complicated Kubernetes/k3s to Docker.

To answer your main question, you’ll want to use the main vikunja container (not the redis or frontend or similar) as shown:

You can then issue your CLI commands there:

2 Likes

Thank you so much! Now I’m ready to (hopefully not permanently) break stuff!

1 Like