Access VM from TrueNAS and apps

I have a service running on a VM hosted in TrueNAS that I can access from anywhere but TrueNAS and TrueNAS apps

If I issue this command from any other machine, it succeeds:

wget http://192.168.0.9:8123/

However, from TrueNAS bash and app containers I get “No route to host.”

What am I missing here?

You’re missing a bridge

I don’t want to access NAS from a VM, but the other way around. Is that the same thing?

Yea, bridge works both ways in this case.

Sorry, I’m not that good in networking.

When I try to remove DHCP and aliases from the NIC, it says “‘192.168.0.8’ is being consumed by Applications, please use a different node IP in applications configuration.”

Either a running application or the service itself is holding it. Did you:

Prepare your system for interface changes by stopping and/or removing apps, VM NIC devices, and services that can cause conflicts:

Stop running apps before proceeding with network interface changes.
Power off any running virtual machines (VMs) before making interface IP changes. Remove active NIC devices.
If you encounter issues with testing network changes, you might need to stop any services, including Kubernetes and sharing services such as SMB, using the current IP address.

I stopped the VM and all the apps. And also stopped running services (S.M.A.R.T. and SSH).

How can I find out what’s holding on to that and stop it?

Could it be because I’m using TrueNAS web interface?

Disable the k3s service entirely. Go to Apps → Settings → Unset Pool.

I don’t get an error unsetting DHCP and removing the aliases now. But when testing the configuration, DHCP comes back.

Here’s a video I made showing the process

As already discussed, you will need to unset your apps pool, the re-set it afterwards.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your patience and assistance.

I must have been doing something wrong before, because following your video allowed me to set everyting up.

3 Likes