Actual installs on uGreen hardware - observations, experiences & tips

You have a dxp6800, correct?

Are you running scale version 24.04.2 on baremetal, or on top of something like proxmox?

Yes, I have a 6800, and I’m running SCALE 24.04.2 on bare metal. I upgraded the RAM to 64 GB the other day, so the factory-installed DIMM is no longer there, if that makes a difference.

I see the MSRP has increased–during the kickstarter, we were told it was US$999; now it’s up to $1199. I don’t think I’d pay either of those prices, but I think it represents good value at the $649 kickstarter price.

Odd. I wonder why I get messages about an EDAC memory controller on my machine and you don’t. Do you have the stock boot drive removed from the machine? Did you ever install ugos?

Nice to see users trying these out. I have a couple racks so wouldn’t use these, but they looked like a fantastic option for people that want something smaller. Have wanted to recommend these as a cheaper alternative to established brands, but not until seeing how they perform. The price increase really blunts the value prospect during the Kickstarter.

LED issue is minor and I expect it’s something they can easily resolve. The cooling seems ‘good enough’ but definitely not great. What fans are installed? I don’t see much on the product page. I’ve got some older U-NAS 810A 8-bay cases that keep the drives at a nice ~30-35c, but they have 2 x 120mm fans for the drives.

Yes, I replaced it and installed TrueNAS on the new one. I never did boot or install UGOS, but figured I’d keep the option open.

I expect it could be done easily enough, but I haven’t seen that it has yet. The script linked up-topic turns the network LED blue and the drive LEDs green, from which they don’t change–I think there’s more work to be done, to the extent anyone thinks it’s important (which I really don’t, but it’d be nice to have a drive LED turn red on a disk fault).

This is probably the biggest limitation. My drives idle at around 40°C, and that’s in a 21°C room where it’s pretty much free-standing–no external obstructions to airflow. I hit thermal throttling on the CPU a bit. I’ve seen occasional reference to fan swaps, but as it’s in the living room right now I don’t want to increase the noise level significantly.

How is the noise level, anyway? Fans and disks?

I figured they selected fans that are as quiet as possible while keeping the ‘good enough’ temps. I try to shoot for ~35c which is why my storage is loud and in a rack in a separate room. 40c wouldn’t really bother me, especially for the use-case I imagine people get the U-Greens – to sit in a room they actually use without being obnoxiously loud.

Throttling CPU kind of stinks, but may not be a big deal. Wonder why they didn’t go with AMD?

I can’t really quantify it–it’s noticeable, but not bothersome. I hear the disks more than the fans.

1 Like