Again for Samba Multichannel

Hello,
I apologize for my bad English.

Again about Samba Multichannel - I read a lot and some things were not clear to me;
I’m using a dual-port Broadcom P225P and Truenas Scale 24.04 (Dragonfish):

How to set up IP networks?
I’ve been reading different things and I’m getting confused.

I use a Windows 11 client, Synologi NAS - there both adapters are used equally.
At Truenas, traffic only passes through one.

Please help/clarify.

Thanks!

There’s a checkbox to enable multichannel in the webui under Services->SMB. Did you check it?

1 Like

Yes of course.
I’m more interested in IPs - I currently have the following in one network: static and DHCP.

That won’t work. Two interfaces == two disjunct networks unless you are using LACP.

This is exactly what confuses me when reading:
It is written not to use LACP.
And if I use different networks - all the connection to the other devices will break.

You need to connect each device that is supposed to use SMB multichannel to both of these networks, too.

The remark about LACP was not specifically considering this use case but more of a general one. It’s IP fundamentals. You cannot have two interfaces in one broadcast domain. Period. LACP is a layer two abstraction that bundles two or more physical ports so the “one interface - one network” constraint still holds. A lagg/bond is a single interface, not two.

Now the drawback of LACP is that a single TCP stream will only ever use one physical port. But given that the port can be picked via a layer three address (IP) hash, possibly one can set up

• an LACP interface
  • two consecutive IP addresses as aliases on that single interface - naturally one will be even, one odd

And use SMB multichannel with these two addresses and the LACP hash will balance it over both links?

I don’t know, but I guess it could work. Anyone who knows?

You’re telling me that on Truenas they should be on different networks, while on Windows, Synology - they should be on the same network?

No, two separate networks on all devices.

As I wrote above:
They should be in the same network there.
Why is it not the case with Truenas as it is also Linux?

I opened a new thread because all the old threads go to … nowhere.

An IP host cannot have two interfaces with IP addresses from the same network. That’s a fundamental property of how IP routing works.

Of course you can configure it that way by brute force but then things don’t work as expected. One interface, one or more networks. Never the other way round.

I.e. all examples of Samba Multichannel are … error?

Which examples?

For Samba Multichannel in Windows, Synology, …

Name some, please, and I can have a look at them and tell you.

Just type (for example): Synology samba multichannel

Nowhere in these documents are IP address constraints or the lack thereof mentioned:

So fundamental IP networking rules of course apply.

Server NIC 1: 192.168.1.1/24
Server NIC 2: 192.168.2.1/24

Client NIC 1: 192.168.1.100/24
Client NIC 2: 192.168.2.100/24

Switch with 2 VLANs or 2 separate switches.

Will work.

Search some more, even better and with examples…

I won’t. Either you provide them or the discussion ends. After all it’s not me asking for help. I have been a network engineer for 30 years and know IP inside and out.

If by “examples” you mean “YT videos by arbitrary dudes without a clue” - yeah, > 90% of that is utter crap.

5 Likes

The first with examples:

https://www.buffalotech.com/knowledge-base/how-to-configure-smb-multichannel-on-terastation-with-a-windows-10-pc

This cannot guarantee that both ports will be used - which is exactly my point.

For reference: Resource - Multiple network interfaces on a single subnet | TrueNAS Community