Booted to Grub twice in two months. Is this most likely a defective SATA DOM?

I’ve booted to Grub a couple of times in the last two months, i.e., the system failed to boot vmlinux from the SATA DOM.

If the hardware is solid, that should be impossible unless there is a hardware problem with the SATA DOM I’m using in the Supermicro to boot from, right?

The boot-pool is always mounted read only by truenas so I don’t understand how it can be corrupted from TrueNAS (and I’m not running anything else on the box).

Either there is a software bug (in which case everyone will have the problem), or my SATA DOM (SuperDOM) is flakey.

I’m leaning to the latter. Am I correct?

Second question: Can I just dd the SATA DOM device to a second SATA DOM device? Or are there specific customizations?

That way if one fails, I can just dd the working one to the failed one (assuming it is still alive).

Did you ever “upgrade”[1] the boot-pool at any point?

1. As in, upgrading the ZFS features. ↩︎

No, just did a regular install on the SATA DOM.

There’s no reason to. Just install fresh and load your exported config file, and you’re back in business. No need to juggle with the boot devices or do any sort of cloning or imaging.

(This is a good time to make sure you indeed have an up-to-date config file exported and safely secured somewhere. Same for your encrypted dataset keys.)

2 Likes

It may just be coincidence, but I had two hangs with a week or two in between and had to do a hard reset, and when I tried to reboot my boot drive’s GPT primary partition table had been corrupted.

I am just wondering whether they might have a common cause - though I have no idea what the cause is on my system.

Or is it the boot device identifiers moving around?

1 Like

The delivery was not the best, but it is a valid point.

In my case it doesn’t boot because the BIOS cannot find the EUFI boot details on a drive which it cannot read because the Primary GPT Partition Table is corrupt. So it never gets to GRUB.

I suspect that the prior hang is a result of the operating system detecting that the GPT Partition Table has changed and attempting to reload it, losing the details of the boot drive and then HALTing. But I don’t keep a monitor attached to the HDMI port and powered on so I cannot see what happened.

I’m going to get a second SATA DOM and the next time this happens I’m going to compare the two boot devices.

Yes, I know I can do a second install, but a dd should work, shouldn’t it?

If I do two installs on two SATA DOM disks, the disks should be identical, shouldn’t they?? (if they are the same size)

Select two disks when you install

Or attach the 2nd disk to the boot pool later.

2 Likes

thanks. that is great advice.

1 Like