Cannot give SMB permissions on new users

I am using TrueNAS Scale 24.04.0.
I created a new user with “Samba Authentication” checkbox enabled. Now I try to give this user SMB permissions and receive an error: “[EINVAL] sharing_smb_setacl.share_acl.1.ae_who_id: User or group does must exist and be an SMB account.”

I have a user with absolutely identical settings, which was created while I was on Scale 22.12, and there is no problem to give this user SMB permissions. So it looks like there is a bug in creating a new user in 24.04, such that the new user is not given an SMB flag.

Is there a way to manually assign an SMB flag to a user?

I am stuck on the same issue.
Both Users have the same permissions and “Samba Authentication” is checked, am on version Dragonfish-24.04.0

Hi i am also having same issue.

On fresh install works fine for till around 3-4th reboot and than an UID higher that 3000, loses permission to be added or modified to SMB ACL list.

If the user existed on the SMB ACL before the issue, they appears as a SID number in the SMB ACL list with the type as blank.

@ajw and @ilya if you can add your experience to @onix331’s bug report here [NAS-128815] - iXsystems TrueNAS Jira, it might help us diagnose the issue.

Having the same issue on Dragonfish-24.04.1.1

Cannot add a User to an SMB Share ACL. Attempting to add the User who owns the file ACL for full access in the SMB ACL. Users are available in the popup menu but when you click save I get this error message:

"[EINVAL] sharing_smb_setacl.share_acl.0.ae_who_id: User or group does must exist and be an SMB account.”

there is a more info popup which gives the python error traceback which I can include if useful.

The link to the bug report seems to be closed as a duplicate, and the report it links to is also closed.

The advice is to make a new ticket. The previous issue was fixed so it’s likely the cause of your issue is different, even if the error message you see is the same.

Make an access attempt via explorer from Windows to TrueNAS using the credentials you gave that user. After that you can assign SMB permissions to the user from within TrueNAS.

Unfortunately I did several things before I tried again so I’m not sure which ultimately made it possible to assign the ACL’s again. It might have been attempting to log in as newuser080624 suggested. I also changed the file ownership from the default of root to one of my users and then completely deleted the single entry that was in the ACL before adding another. I just tried again and I was able to add the needed ACL’s just now and I am once again able to mount the share from more than just one user. So thats very encouraging!