Checksum Errors

Hi Everyone …

Need some help and advice … I have a pool called “Computer Core” I have a mirror of two hard drives that I am getting checksum errors on …

What I don’t understand is why … I have scrubed the pool , and trimmed it … I also ran the long smart test on the two drives and after 2 days that came back with nothing as well …

So I am not sure what I should do … Thoughts ? advice ?

Thanks …

Need more information:

• Hardware
  • Any HBAs in use?
  • Which version of Core?
  • Pool information / status, such as zpool status -v "Computer Core"

You can hide/filter any information or names that you don’t feel comfortable sharing.

Hi Winnielinnie,

here you go … hope it helps …

TrueNas Core : 13.0

Ryzen 5 5600G

ASUS TUF Gaming B550-PRO AMD

2 x SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 250GB NVMe - OS Drives

6 x 6TB WD Red Pro - Data Drives

1 x Samsung Evo Plus 1TB - VM Drive

RX 580 8gb

64gb Ram

Screenshot 2024-05-09 211815
Screenshot 2024-05-09 211754

Harddrive issue, cabling issue, power issue, memory issue, or zfs bug.

As you don’t have ECC, you can’t really rule out a memory issue…

So, what you want to do is try to work out if there is actually an issue that the harddrive can investigate by checking its smartctl -a /dev/<etc> results.

If it has UDMA CRC errors, then its probably a cabling/pwer issue. If the HD hasn’t identified any errors, and you’ve been running tests then its probably a memory issue…

but you can test cabling issues by swapping drives/cables around and seeing if the issue goes away or moves.

and then you can perform an extended memory test.

3 Likes

You also didn’t say how these drives are connected. Directly to the SATA ports on the motherboard, or via an HBA?

Thanks Stux ,

I just ran that command you said and it came back …

zsh: parse error near `\n’

Not sure what that means … I am still very new to TrueNas and this is my first box and build …

Hope that helps … But I will also replace the cables and double check things this weekend when I can pull the system out and take it apart …

Sorry Winnielinnie,

I must have missed that … its both … I have all the sata ports on the MB full and then a pcie sata card for I think two of the drives … hard to remember its been a while since I built this box …

I already have a new pcie sata card that I was thinking about replacing this weekend when I pull the box to clean it and check the cables …

You will need to replace <etc> with your drive identifier

Eg /dev/da0 or whatever is appropriate

Thanks Stux,

I ran the command again this time with ada6 as that is a drive that shows checksum errors in the pool and it just came back with all the drive information and that the last smart test long was successful with no errors …

Oh boy…

2 Likes

Thanks Winnie for the information …

So let me ask you this … I have a Mini R that I am planning on using in the near future … Seeing how the Mini R has a pcie expansion slot I am going to need either a sata or nvme card for it …

What would you recommend ?