Copying a Snapshot from one Pool to another Pool

Hi
I have got myself into a bit of mess with backing up TrueNAS through insufficient knowledge, age and general stress! All I want to do is update a backup I first created a few months ago, on an external drive. I must have done it once to create the initial backup, but I cannot for the life of me rediscover how I did it. Being a backup, I really don’t want to mess this up.

I am limited to the GUI since the CLI is so alien to me. I searched the old forum and there’s nothing I can find that doesn’t involve the CLI, yet I Must have found a way originally, without trying that. Here’s a snap of what I have:

So I’m trying to backup all of the NAS pool → to → the Backup pool. (and NOT the other way around!!!). Can anyone tell me please, which section should I be in and what levers should I pull to refresh ‘Backup’, which as you see, currently holds less data than NAS.

Thank you for your help.

I’ve solved the problem!
This interface won’t let me delete the above post but no matter.

So for anyone struggling who comes after me, the steps are as follows:

1. Go to Storeage /Snapshots / Add - and pick the Pool item you wish to backup, then make a Snapshot of it.
  2. If you don’t already have a Replication set up, go to Tasks/ Replication Tasks / Add - and then fill out the details of the source and destination pools you want to backup to.
  3. If you have previously created and saved your Backup replication task, it’s just Tasks / Replication Tasks - from the GUI and hit the button to run it again. Confirm your choice, and go make a nice hot cup of tea. And dinner. And wash up. And… well, you get the idea. :slight_smile:

… and make sure the destination pool is not read-only…. :smiley:

1 Like