Disable WebDAV service from CLI or by modifying config DB?

Since my Disabled service warning before each update issue was closed and I don’t feel like opening a new one and uploading a Debug file…

Does anyone know how I can disable the WebDAV service, even though this service has since many releases ago been removed form the web GUI? It’s just slightly annoying that I keep receiving this warning when updating my SCALE instance. It just happened again when updating to Dragonfish-24.04.0.

In the config .db backup file I still see referenced to webdav…

You could try systemctl status webdav and, if that works, sudo systemctl stop webdav

Edit: Actually I’m not sure if the WebDAV service would just show up as webdav. You could identify it with systemctl list-units --type=service.

Hi, I have reopened the issue because that seems like a bug.
Do you mind attaching your configuration database in there (privately) for investigation?

Thank you

Thanks for reopening @william!

I discovered the reason why this keeps happening to me (and not to everyone).

First I looked for the code which throws the error message, which I found in the precheck method in the scale-build repo. Then I cloned this repo, imported the precheck method and executed it.

git clone https://github.com/truenas/scale-build.git
git checkout release/24.04.0
cd scale-build
python3 -c 'from truenas_install import __main__ as truenas_install; print(truenas_install.precheck("/"))'

This reliably reproduced the following error for me:

(False, ‘There are active configured services on this system that are not present in the new version. Upgrading this system deletes these services and saved settings: WebDAV service. This disrupts any system usage that relies on these active services.’)

I then added some debug logging at line 319.

print("FOUND:", title, "Because of process_name:", process_name)
                        print(service, title, process_name, cmdline, pid, cgroups)

Which printed:

FOUND: WebDAV Because of process_name: apache2
webdav WebDAV apache2 None 3060659 0::/system.slice/jlmkr-myjail.service/payload/system.slice/docker-beac7c48ad527cbd759f089c21d98d4789f6e4a1e63ac3b71faff9fde3cabe1e.scope

I realized this false-positive is caused by me running apache2 inside a Sandbox.

Inside the precheck method, all processes running as Apps are filtered out like this:

if "kubepods" in cgroups:
                            continue

But we need to do the same for processes running in Sandboxes.

When running ps -e -o pid,comm,cgroup I see that all processes inside a Sandbox have /payload/ inside the cgroup column.

PID COMMAND         CGROUP
      1 systemd         0::/init.scope
      2 kthreadd        -
[...]
    439 z_checkpoint_di -
    588 dbus-daemon     0::/system.slice/dbus.service
    605 systemd-journal 0::/system.slice/systemd-journald.service
    622 systemd-udevd   0::/system.slice/systemd-udevd.service/udev
    740 irq/125-mei_me  -
    767 watchdogd       -
    878 kworker/R-crypt -
    912 kworker/R-ttm   -
    915 card0-crtc0     -
    916 card0-crtc1     -
    917 card0-crtc2     -
    962 asyncio_loop    0::/system.slice/middlewared.service
    966 python3         0::/system.slice/middlewared.service
[...]
 210241 systemd-nspawn  0::/system.slice/jlmkr-myjail.service/supervisor
 210243 systemd         0::/system.slice/jlmkr-myjail.service/payload/init.scope
 210294 systemd-journal 0::/system.slice/jlmkr-myjail.service/payload/system.slice/systemd-journald.service
 210304 systemd-network 0::/system.slice/jlmkr-myjail.service/payload/system.slice/systemd-networkd.service
 210309 systemd-resolve 0::/system.slice/jlmkr-myjail.service/payload/system.slice/systemd-resolved.service
 210314 dbus-daemon     0::/system.slice/jlmkr-myjail.service/payload/system.slice/dbus.service
 210315 systemd-logind  0::/system.slice/jlmkr-myjail.service/payload/system.slice/systemd-logind.service
 210317 containerd      0::/system.slice/jlmkr-myjail.service/payload/system.slice/containerd.service
 210318 agetty          0::/system.slice/jlmkr-myjail.service/payload/system.slice/console-getty.service
 321129 php-fpm83       0::/system.slice/jlmkr-myjail.service/payload/system.slice/docker-1d026561beb94a2c48222f865728f58d6916e6bc6a9c9bacce642c0152b901d1.scope
 [...]
 3060659 apache2         0::/system.slice/jlmkr-myjail.service/payload/system.slice/docker-beac7c48ad527cbd759f089c21d98d4789f6e4a1e63ac3b71faff9fde3cabe1e.scope

I suggest we add this to fix the false positive:

if "/payload/" in cgroups:
                            continue

But I couldn’t find any documentation about the /payload/ part of the cgroup path. This comment by the author of systemd seems to confirm there’ll always be /payload/ in the path though. Yet I’m not 100% this won’t filter out too much.

The same happens on the master branch by the way.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for providing the rundown of the issue and debugging, this was very helpful!

1 Like