Dragonfish broke Photoprism

After updating to Dragonfish… photoprism is stuck on deploying.
Using Truenas, but also tried Truecharts version unsuccessfully.

Startup probe failed: Get "http://xxxxxx:20800/": dial tcp xxxxxx:20800: connect: connection refused

Does anyone know how to fix this?

EDIT//
For anyone having this issue, I reinstalled the Truecharts version and changed the port number. It took forever to deploy, however it eventually loaded and is now running.

hi did you get the error message during deployment with Truecharts?

I was now able to install the Truenas version without changing any settings. (no host path). However, I can’t upload any pictures now. The upload starts. However, no images are taken over.

Truecharts returned some other erroneous message, however eventually deployed successfully. Haven’t tried uploading yet.

I did have to change folder permissions to full access.

I have installed the Truecharts variant. I didn’t change anything other than entering the password. And it works now. no idea why. The main thing is that it works properly.

Hi All. I tried installing Photoprism from Dragonfish app page.

Its stuck on deploying and I get this error message:

Startup probe failed: Get “http://172.16.0.32:20800/”: dial tcp 172.16.0.32:20800: connect: connection refused

I tried opening all the ports on my router, and giving the 3 folders it asks for during install (upload, storage, etc.) 777 chown permissions to the world.

Funny thing was the first time I installed it I actually got to the UI screen, but because I didn’t configure my folders correctly (and their is no way of browsing within Photoprism) I thought a fresh install would solve it.

Since then nada. Is there a trick to the folders, permissions, certificatel, port address that is causing this issue? I tried replicating what I did the first time. Are you creating a custom dataset beforehand?

This is vexing me.

Just curious Bob. Did you use in the chown check box from the install page itself? If so what code did you apply? Or did you create a dataset from scratch.

Never knew why Linux has to be deliberately this obtuse for no benefit whatsoever. Why can’t apps own the folders they themselves create? People wonder why windows won the fight.

Only gave the app group for photo prism full access in truenas permissions. Nothing fancy. I also did a hard restart on truenas. It was al existing app directory from the previous version.

First couple of times I received errors, however after all that, the install just worked on the final attempt.

Make sure everything is up to date first.

Thanks Bob. I never created an app group and I don’t want to break my plex install by messing with users / groups now. Just curious, what did you change the port to?

Ok… so now that Truecharts is discontinued, I’m stuck on deploying again with the TrueNAS version.

I deleted everything and started again… It just sits on “DEPLOYING”.

Anyone manage to fix this?
I’m getting connection refused for some reason.

Log:

Startup probe failed: Get "http://192.x.x.x:20800/": dial tcp 172.16.0.39:20800: connect: connection refused

I gave up on it. Seems to be a random number generator application. I.e. totally varied successful installation.

I install it from scratch first time with default IX systems (persistent files, photo upload, originals) directory locations. Installs in like 5 seconds but functionally useless because the folders are in the ix applications dataset which I am NOT uploading all my pictures to for obvious reasons and the app wont let you change it from its webui. So I go to the edit installation page in the truenas GUI apps page and all the folder options are GREYED out and not changeable for some capricious reason.

Ok then. Delete the application and reinstall from scratch and pick the correct originals folder I want and then the application hangs indefinitely with the code you show. Even if I chmod 777 (sigh) the pictures folder it hangs.

At this point I said screw it. Yet another case of classic unix/linux application dev mindset: lets make an app that only Jeffrey Dean at Google can install via hackery due to completely paranoid and arbitrary permissions problems.

Photoprism may be a cool app, but lifes too short to waste time on apps that even the devs have never installed themselves ever.

Thanks Mark.
Think I too will give up on this one and put it down to crappy software.

Don’t know how it works with Truecharts or IX App, but, been running it for 1.5 years as a custom app, zero issues. Photoprism runs perfectly, updates work well, etc. Has run on 3 different Scale releases without change. Ymmv. This is what I expect with Eel as well, i.e. once on docker compose, again, no issues if you define it yourself.

Fantastic, it works for you.

The problem is, it doesn’t work out of the box for some of us.

There’s a pressing point here.

If you need to go beyond an app install to get ‘said app’ working, it probably shouldn’t be an app present within the TrueNAS community.

As awesome as TrueNAS is, scale needs to evolve and adapt to its wider audience in order to stay ahead of the game.

Politics aside, would be great if I could get this app to work.

I’m not disagreeing with you, just giving you an alternative. The reality is apps have been a problem not only on Scale, but on Core, for a very very long time. The choices are currently at least accept that apps will have problems now and then using the/a catalog, or, do your own thing.

But yeah, they should work. Eel should help that.

Ok thanks. I might give it a go.

Let me know if you have issues. It’s pretty much similar to what you do for the Scale app, custom app looks about the same.