Dragonfish RC: make root (/) RW

Hi there!
is there a way to make the root partition (/) rw?

I need to write some files to make Rsync properly working
(I have no problems doing that on cobia)

Yes and no. It entails being branded a hacker, so you might want to provide more detail so that we can offer an alternative.

I have a Rsync job to a Synology nas, and I have to put my syno.pw file (the one with password to the nas) on the root partition.

I’ve it also in the /root/ folder (the one of the user root) but fore some reason it not work in there (and this also on cobia)

No, that’s a bad idea. Surely you’d want it in some persistent (i.e. Backed by your main pool) location, like /mnt/poolname/home/whatever. Otherwise, with every update you’d have to reconfigure everything.

2 Likes

I’ve put the file in /mnt/tank/App_configs/syno.pw

chown rsync:rsync /mnt/tank/App_configs/syno.pw
chmod 600 /mnt/tank/App_configs/syno.pw

and updated the paramaters

but I get this error:

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 469, in run
    await self.future
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 513, in __run_body
    rv = await self.middleware.run_in_thread(self.method, *args)
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1324, in run_in_thread
    return await self.run_in_executor(self.thread_pool_executor, method, *args, **kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1321, in run_in_executor
    return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 58, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema/processor.py", line 191, in nf
    return func(*args, **kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema/processor.py", line 53, in nf
    res = f(*args, **kwargs)
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/rsync.py", line 685, in run
    raise CallError(msg)
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] rsync command returned 1 - SYNTAX. Check logs for further information.

So what do the rsync logs say?

I’m trying to figure out where to find them :sweat_smile:

Is there anything like rsync.log in /var/log/?

I’ve looked at messages, syslog and cron with no luck…

uh btw no rsync.log in there :sweat_smile:

Yes, run the command install-dev-tools as root and it’ll setup RW /, as well as installing various developer tools. Reminder, this means you are unsupported territory, use caution and changes won’t persist across upgrades.

If you want something persistent, use Sandboxes / Jails:

3 Likes

many thanks, btw is only a “temporary thing” for me I’m planning ditch then synology for another truenas installation :partying_face:

1 Like