Electric Eel Progress

Electric Eel (TrueNAS SCALE 24.10) emerged into the BETA stage on August 29th. In the last two weeks, a record number of users have volunteered to test Electric Eel and explore the new Docker capabilities. The Electric Eel uptake rate is over 3X Dragonfish and over 10X the 13.3 BETA versions.

The feedback on the new Docker capabilities has been very positive. It was great to see how many users successfully migrated applications. The App catalog work is still ongoing, and progress is tracked here. This will be mostly completed by the end of October. The BETA process has proven that App migration will work for the existing catalog applications.

Many thanks to those who have tested and reported bugs. The engineering team has been triaging and fixing bugs in preparation for the RC.1 version planned for late September. The code freeze for RC.1 has been made, and we’re now in a two-week sprint to test that version.

What’s new in Electric Eel RC.1?

The engineering team is busy completing Electric Eel and resolving bugs. Major improvements include:

• Login Alerts on root/admin user login or attempted login
  • Custom App Wizard and YAML Editor allow various application configurations to be deployed. (Use the Portainer App if a GUI is needed)
  • App logs captured and displayed in the UI
  • Better App Info cards with links
  • App Stats (CPU/Memory/Network/Disk IO) displayed on the Apps page
  • “New Dashboard” is completed with better mobile support. “Old Dashboard” is now removed.
  • Nvidia drivers are better handled

The Nightly versions now have all the RC.1 fixes and feature enhancements. Experienced users can download and test. Rapid bug reporting is appreciated.

When Should I Migrate?

If you are deploying a new TrueNAS system, we recommend TrueNAS SCALE Dragonfish 24.04.2.1 for:

• Added functionality over CORE,
  • Vastly broader hardware support,
  • Expanded App catalog (which will migrate to Electric Eel)
  • Sandboxes provide jail-like capabilities using systemd containers.
  • Better performance on most workloads
  • Improved web UI makes managing TrueNAS easier than ever.

Dragonfish users can easily update to Electric Eel BETA or Nightly as desired, but this is only recommended for experienced users. We recommend users review the TrueNAS software status page for advice.

6 Likes

Looking forward to 24.10. I am waiting on doing anything with Apps until this drops as I am relatively new to the whole TN world and want to start learning from the newest paradigm. Thanks again for all your hard work; it’s a great product.

4 Likes

So, if I understood what you wrote, what is in nightly should be rc.1 but with hopeful bugs reported? " The Nightly versions now have all the RC.1 fixes and feature enhancements"

Well, an obvious one is you cannot edit custom apps, it fails. Or, did I read the nightly portion wrong?

I note there are just 2 fields for a custom app, yaml and name. What about a .env section? What about another entry box for a dockerfile? The idea here is that one can build their custom container on Truenas instead of elsewhere just with the UI. Otherwise, is it possible to deploy a Dockerfile for the build (and associated files one may want to copy into the container) somewhere? Maybe whereever the compose file is stored? I often add curl to the container, amongst other things for healthchecks and other purposes as well as dockerize or wait for. Right now, I am using inline docker in the compose file but I can’t really copy files in.

It’s odd if the yaml is not correct that you direct me to a file in the filesystem instead of displaying the error in the UI?

Just to add on, I have successfully deployed caddy (with porkbun) and a docker registry app on eel both as custom apps and other than syntax errors and the like, and, the notes above, all worked fine. Since I can’t edit a custom app, I simply delete it and re-add it, only 2 boxes.

Yes, which nightly version?

This is the idea of pre-testing. Try to identify bugs vs missing features. If its clearly a bug, please report it and post the NAS ticket here.

1 Like

Downloaded tonight (9/15), vm stopped for the night. Only bug was edit, everything else are hopeful one day features. Well, I consider needing to review a log file via cli for yaml errors a bug myself, debatable I guess.

I’ll download any update in the next few days and if still broken, make a bug report with the details.

Really though, love custom apps with yaml feature!

Editing custom apps is a known issue: [NAS-131147] - iXsystems TrueNAS Jira

1 Like

This is not entirely correct, as we have branched for RC.1 for the final test phase, the nightly is from the stable branch. That branch contains all changes for both 24.10.0 and 24.10-RC.1, so for a specific ticket check the fix version targeted.

Are the quoted versions correct?

No but fixed, great catch. Had my coffee now.

3 Likes

Another thing missing is no way to say which apps should be started at system boot, we used to have that on Dragonfish.

https://ixsystems.atlassian.net/jira/software/c/projects/NAS/issues/NAS-131236?jql=project%20%3D%20"NAS"%20ORDER%20BY%20created%20DESC

Stopping custom apps does not work if they have a startup error

1 Like

https://ixsystems.atlassian.net/jira/software/c/projects/NAS/issues/NAS-131266?filter=allissues&jql=project%20%3D%20"NAS"%20ORDER%20BY%20created%20DESC

Hardly a major bug but a bug.

https://ixsystems.atlassian.net/browse/NAS-131267

Another annoyance that I believe has been around a while, but it makes no sense to display the wrong time in the UI! It’s easy to get confused.

1 Like

I may be behind here, but, is there a solution to the whole browser cache thing? I mean, I create a new custom app, and, assuming no errors (big assumption!) it starts, but the apps screen doesn’t show it until I refresh Brave. Same was true on previous versions of Scale too on various screens.

1 Like

If you get the same behaviour on another browser, then it might be TrueNAS responsibility.

Electric Eel Progress
TrueNAS 24.10-BETA.1 (Electric Eel) Ongoing Issues
TrueNAS 24.10-BETA.1 (Electric Eel) Ongoing Accepted Issues
TrueNAS 24.10-BETA.1 (Electric Eel) Changelog

It would be amazing to have stuff like this actually integrated forms so they could be a pinned post in this kind of thread reflecting live updates from atlassian. This would add transparency without navigating away from the forums and hopefully reduce some devs trying to respond to existing issues.

You’ll probably want to filter based on issues that are targeted for 24.10 (we have issues that are noted as present in 24.10, but not scheduled for fix in 25.04 – for instance refactoring of some unit tests).

A lot of these issues are “unscreened”… so may not turn out to be bugs but config or hardware issues. We’d prefer not to alarm people with false positives.

I can understand that. Would a simple tag show that Issues are verified cutting out the noise from other tickets?

Could do… we already have “Unscreened” so its really a filter on these tags.

Anyone want to have a go?

1 Like