First NAS Build . HELP!

Hi all,

I have been contemplating a home NAS build for a while and I have brought the following parts from the market place.

CPU: Xeon E3-1275 v6 @ 3.80GHz
Memory: 32GB Dual Channel ECC @ 2400MHz
Storage: 1TB SSDSC2KG960G8 + 2 x 4TB ST4000NM0115-1YZ107
Board: ASUS P10S-I Series
NIC: Dual Intel I210 Gigabit NICs
PSU: 650W Corsair TX650M

I would like to hear some of the best recommendations for the casing and cooling solution - either a liquid cooling or a heat sink fin type cooling.

PS : I am a total newbie and a person from a non-IT background. So I might not understand too much technical IT terms when it comes to server build - please bear with me. I am trying to self-build a server for myself with the help of assistance from this fantastic community. Happy to take one step at a time.

Purpose of the build :

Storage ! Storage !! and running a plex media server as an option. I do have a bit of music and movie collection, which I am looking to access via my Android TV to watch.

Storage being the main priority, I should be able to hot swap the drives if it fails at any point in time. As I currently have 2 x 4 TB drives, I am looking to make a copy of my data across both the drives and have it as a RAID 1. If I require more storage in future, I should be able to add more drives. I am happy to add drives as a pool ie. 2 x 4 TB drives or 2 x 8 TB drives, evertime I require additional storage.

I would appreciate the best ATX case recommendation that would support atleast 8-10 hot swappable drive bays and also that supports good air flow across all the drives for cooling.

Also, one other idea am looking to do is to have this storage server link wirelessly to my laptop ie. access it through wifi network by creating a network drive in my laptop. I already have a laptop with screen at home and I dont want to have a second screen, exclusively for this storage server. Is there any specifc parts that I need to purchase like a wifi card or something for this ?

TrueNAS does not do WiFi. Of course, if you connect it to a network that includes WiFi, it’ll communicate that way too, but you’ll need to use a wired connection for your NAS itself.

You don’t need any kind of display for your NAS after installation, but I think it’d be hard to install it without any kind of display.