Forum Suggestions

Except it doesn’t. You just get a 404.

Agreed, which is why we opted to go with “General Discussion” and not straight off-topic. I.E. place for things not specific TrueNAS, but still industry relevant. There are plenty of other socials where people can opine on weather and such :slight_smile:

Try again, we just finished updating it.

1 Like

It’s still a tech forum. If I want to hear the members’ opinion about a new tech product, ie a new CPU line or a new case, or maybe hear opinions about other companies’ decisions or some youtuber’s actions… should I put everything in the General Discussion? Should I not seek the community engagement for these topics?

We users are reasoning based on the old forum, but since iX decided to go with the new forum we should adjust our mentality: @kris has there been any change to the mission of TrueNas Forums? Do you want user engagement to change compared to the old forum, focusing only on iX’s products?

No, the mission has not changed. But I will caveat with “Off-topic” needs to be so within reason. I.E. if somebody wants to sit around and argue geo-politics, there are far better places to do that. Topics should be “industry relevant”, I.E. Computing, Storage, Security, Tech, etc. General Discussion is the place for all that.

2 Likes

I may be able to speak on this since it is mostly my sole purpose here at iX to do stuff within the community.

The mission has not changed and unless I am out of the loop is not changing. We simply want to make it a great place to be for the community as a whole with enhanced search features and better features for our awesome mod/admin team to help them be more efficient. Another thing is that Xenforo, while on the surface might be great, on the backend was struggling to scale (pun intended) with us.

At the end of the day, we all share the same mission, believe it or not, that is to help make TrueNAS a better product for the end user. We could not do it without the community.

1 Like

Nope. Still a 404.

Sounds good.

Probably your DNS cache and/or provider?

No - absolutely not. It’s not a DNS cache because I get the 404 page rather than a redirect and its not my browser cache because I cleared it and still get a 404.

Huh, its working for me… Maybe something CDN side. IT is investigating now.

1 Like

Pretty much my thought. I understand the concern that off-topic could take over the place, but that hasn’t been even close to an issue on the old site, and if it wasn’t there, it doesn’t seem likely that it would be here. I’d still expect that most threads would be tech-related in some way, and if that were to not be the case I’d be kind of concerned–but again, that’d represent a pretty significant departure from how things are now.

3 Likes

Most of the off-topic Xenoforum content was related to TrueNAS in a tangential way - whether it was CVEs, networking equipment, etc. It was a delightful way to learn from other folk here about a whole bunch of topics I knew nothing about. More importantly, folk who know TrueNAS usually know a lot about non-TrueNAS but very relevant topics when it comes to networking, hardware, DNS, etc.

Being able to ask the demi-gods for advice on those topics outside the strict four walls of TrueNAS was super helpful at times.

6 Likes

Agreed. And in some cases (cough, OPNsense), there was more help there than on the official product forum. So long as it isn’t excessive, doesn’t strike me as a problem. Not that it’s my decision, but it seems Kris agrees after our exchange up-topic.

3 Likes

I am not too impressed with how the forum looks and behave:

1. Lots of wasted space due to the left pane (categories, Tags,…) but can be disabled with the 3 horizontal line icon.

2. Number of character per line in the post went from about 153 on old forum to 103 or so. Which means more scrolling up or down.

3. I have already made mention of the blue background color which phase off within seconds causing the post to loose its focus.

4. Spanning through the post is more of a headache. At the time of writing, this post already has 67 comments, and my main grievance is trying to keep track of the comment I am focusing on.
    When trying to go to the end of the post, I may not see the last comment (depending on zoom level) as the page has the “New & Unread Topics”.

Scrolling up and down the post is really tedious.
Page Up/Down keys kind of work, same with the mouse wheel. It just takes a lots of scrolling and it is not pin point accurate.
I wish it was possible to have the post updating as soon has the right slider is moved up or down. Right now, I must select the slider and randomly pick a post number or date, then release it in hope I will find what I need.
It would be more efficient and user friendly to get the post update in realtime to match the reply/comment indicated by the slider as it is being slid.

2 Likes

actually, if I zoom in to 310 % and up, then the slider is replaced with a post count, and if I click on it, a page extension (banner, overlay or whatever it is…) brings up the slider, which I can then slide with a lot of diligence, but the post can be updated to track the reply/comment indicated by the slider. Still user experience isn’t great.

I agree with Apollo that there are some significant growing pains re: navigation here. It seems far less intuitive to dive into a particular topic of interest. Instead, we are offered a fire-hose of topics, which is much more reminiscent of the “whats new” in the Xenoforum. I imagine with time, Tags will help settle this a bit.

1 Like

…which might be why it doesn’t bother me, as that’s been my default view on the old forum for some time now. But the now-default Categories view should be closer to “list the various subforums and let you pick which one you want to browse.”

3 Likes

I don’t seem to be able to edit the Tags of one of my topics… For example

I’d like to add “Guide” as a tag to it, now that the tag exists… but I can’t… when I edit the post, it seems like I should be able to click the + sign next to the tags… but it doesn’t do anything

Should it?

Can it?