Help with my project

That’s what I want to avoid… I’ll improve my network to Upload data at better speeds but, as far as I understood how transcoding works, when You play a video in the other part of the city(or planet), if You have a slow connection or a device which doen’t supports your film codec, that’s when transcoding turns on so when You want to play a 4K movie trascoded, you’ll need enough power to do it. The RTX 3070 would do that job if I’m not wrong or even CPU with a Passmark score > than 12000 (What kind of CPU do I need for my Server? | Plex Support)

I’m making a Plex example but I think using jellifin would require the same requirements

I am doing exactly that with the hardware in my signature.

You will need 2 GPUs. 1 for Truenas and its apps, and one for the gaming VM.

I actually have 3 GPUs. Because I am running 2 VMs for 2 players to remotely play on the server.
Performance in games ranges from near bare metal to unplayable.

This is only possible if you have one of those “Enterprise” GPU’s. If you’re using consumer GPU’s, you would need two of them. Allegedly, it’s possible to hack Nvidia’s consumer GPU’s to do this, but well, it’s a hack and your mileage may vary and yes, if you play any games with anti-cheat, you could get banned doing this. Also, I would make sure to read the guides to virtualize TrueNAS since so many people have gone down this road and end up in disaster because they don’t do it properly.

Your network speed is dictated more by your physical hardware, not what software you’re running - Your ethernet ports actually support those speeds and your CPU is powerful enough to push those speeds. The CPU typically only matters once you go to 10G+ though.

You only “need” transcoding if your remote devices do not support playing it natively. I don’t know what your client devices are, but most modern devices (ie. computers, iPhones, Android) will not need transcoding to play videos.

In my experience, whether transcoding is enabled or not is dictated by your remote device. 99% of my devices support playing it natively, so to “force” transcoding, I typically will have to open it in a web browser, which then triggers the live transcode. BTW, you don’t actually “need” a GPU to transcode. I have a Xeon Silver (which has no built-in iGPU), but it has more than enough raw power to transcode multiple 4k streams. Also, not having a GPU has the added benefit of lower idle power consumption, which most home servers spend 90% of their time doing.

2 Likes

This is my experience too, but there is one caveat, which is if you want to lower bandwidth for external users (or others), then that involves transcoding, say to 10mbps.

If you get an Intel CPU with an iGPU, and a motherboard which supports quick sync then you can use quick sync instead of nvidia transcoding too. Be sure to check the motherboard compatibility.

2 Likes

I agree with both of you. Transcoding has its place but in my limited experience I have yet to see a use case where it didn’t make sense to have the endpoint do the transcoding and focus the NAS on file serving instead.

Some transcoding cases result in monster CPU requirements that in turn lead to massive standby power requirements, which in turn leads to big power bills - even if the transcoding requirement is sporadic.

Seems less expensive to me to make the pipe wide and the NAS performant enough to handle multiple streams and let the endpoint handle the scaling.

1 Like

It’s possible for un-transcoded content to be >100mbps per stream.

Depends on the content.

1 Like

I guess I’d have to convince my spouse to have multiple additional kids before that would be an issue over here. :rofl:

Boss says kitchens closed. Oh well.

1 Like

I am actually not a big fan of transcoding unless the client either can’t play it natively or it is too weak to play natively (ie. Old Android phone) or the source is higher res than 1080p and I’m remote cause i don’t have that much upload bandwidth. As i stated in my earlier post, 90% of my devices support native play and I rarely need to stream offsite, so 90% of my streaming is NOT transcoded.

2 Likes

Some guy I know just released a video on how to setup Jellyfin in Sandboxes with Jailmaker and he demonstrates transcoding on a dual core Xeon D VM.

:wink:

4 Likes

Some “good looking” guy, no? There. Fixed it for you.

Liked the video and only comment is that up front there are two sections in which you repeat the same things or my playback fritzed. :slight_smile:

Will be a while before I move to scale but its videos like this one that give me hope re the directions of iXsystems (ie away from k3).

1 Like

Yes. I noticed that. Editing mistake :frowning:

Not to worry, I thought you’d appreciate the feedback. Very well done video.

1 Like

Every day I think I understand jgreco just a little bit better.