HomeBridge tutorial?

Can someone point me to a tutorial for installing HomeBridge on Dragonfish-24.04.0?

What I have found so far must be for earlier versions of TrueNAS Scale.

https://hub.docker.com/r/homebridge/homebridge/tags

TrueCharts has a HomeBridge app; that seems like it’d be the easiest way to install this software.

1 Like

How do I install TrueCharts? It’s not part of the available apps.

How do I install Docker on Dragonfish 24.04.0? It’s not one of the available apps.

Stux has an excellent video on how to setup jailmaker and a docker jail then add docker and dockge here. That will get you an easy method for docker apps. I love jailmaker and docker it is much much easier to add apps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0nTRvAHAP8

1 Like

Okay. I now understand that TrueCharts is an app catalog and that I had to install that first, so that I could install HomeBridge. In the process I found Hoobs first and am trying it, before I go to HomeBridge. I came across the assertion that Hoobs is less complicated than HomeBridge. Let’s see, whether it is uncomplicated enough for me to not chuck it and go with HomeBridge, instead.

1 Like

The problem I had with TrueCharts and ended up going with a Jailmaker Jail is that getting the app to actually have an address that can talk back and forth was daunting to say the least. I ended up having to install Metallb and the configuration process was difficult to say the least. I ended up chucking truecharts (which is also a resource hog) and moved everything to a docker app on a jail…Much Much easier.

1 Like

Very interesting! You may have hit the nail on the head.

I come from the Apple ecosystem. So, TrueCharts and the TrueNAS app catalogs look more like the App Store and thus were immediately attractive.

Interestingly, today’s email from iX made reference to a YouTube video Setting up Sandboxes with Jailmaker. I will have to check this out. It is definitely more involved than just installing an app from an app store.