How do I go about updating Nvidia Drivers for Jellyfin Install?

Hello everyone,
I updated Jellyfin App (Ver 10.9.6_1.2.16)on one of my Truenas Scale Machines running version 22.12.4.1. I thought nothing of it but now the people using it are getting an error when they try to stream certain shows. I checked and it seems to be only happening to HEVC codecs which never happened before. Checked the transcode logs and pasted what seems to be the error below. I’ve never had this issue before and I’m not sure of the required steps. I’ve not reinstalled the Jellyfin container yet, but that might be the next action.

System Specs:
Xeon E3-1270 V2
32gb ECC RAM
Nividia GTX 1660TI

Stream mapping:
  Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (hevc (native) -> hevc (hevc_nvenc))
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (ac3 (native) -> aac (libfdk_aac))
Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
[hevc_nvenc @ 0x55bbcf980540] Driver does not support the required nvenc API version. Required: 12.0 Found: 11.1
[hevc_nvenc @ 0x55bbcf980540] The minimum required Nvidia driver for nvenc is 520.56.06 or newer
[vost#0:0/hevc_nvenc @ 0x55bbcfa7aac0] Error initializing output stream: Error while opening encoder for output stream #0:0 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height
[libfdk_aac @ 0x55bbcfa18640] 2 frames left in the queue on closing
Conversion failed!

Thanks for your time.

Updated Truenas to Dragonfish-24.04.1.1. Issue not resolved.

I am having the same exact issue with the same transcode error in my logs, I was hoping updating truenas scale would fix it. I am anxious to do that anyway lol. Im on TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.4.2

SCALE 24.04.1.1 has nvidia driver version 545.23.08

You’re also 2 SCALE releases behind, SCALE is an appliance OS, aka you can’t just update drivers and etc, but you should update stuff if you want to run updated versions of your apps lol

1 Like

You’re not wrong! I have learned scale from scratch coming from a Windows user who has barely scratched Linux/Debian prior to scale with some random distros to learn on. Bottom line is that I was hesitant to upgrade thinking I’d lose the stable system I had cause it took a lot of work to do lol.

I updated to 23 earlier btw AND had to reinstall Jellyfin in order to get everything working again, and it is so far. I plan on upgrading again to 24.x.x to get everything semi up to dat within a couple of months.

Cheers, and thanks for the feedback!

I’ve since upgraded all my machines to the latest version and the issue still exists.

I have an older card (Nvidia GTX 1050 4gb) and don’t have the same issues, so personally I’d file a bug report with iX or the Jellyfin people

If you type nvidia-smi in the SCALE shell you’ll see your GPU and the version of the driver you’re using

Ok I checked via ssh and everything is up to date on truenas’s end now. I checked the server again and have the same error but with a different issue in the log.

ffmpeg version 6.0.1-Jellyfin Copyright (c) 2000-2023 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 12 (Debian 12.2.0-14)
  configuration: --prefix=/usr/lib/jellyfin-ffmpeg --target-os=linux --extra-version=Jellyfin --disable-doc --disable-ffplay --disable-ptx-compression --disable-static --disable-libxcb --disable-sdl2 --disable-xlib --enable-lto --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-shared --enable-gmp --enable-gnutls --enable-chromaprint --enable-opencl --enable-libdrm --enable-libass --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libfontconfig --enable-libbluray --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopus --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libopenmpt --enable-libdav1d --enable-libsvtav1 --enable-libwebp --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libzvbi --enable-libzimg --enable-libfdk-aac --arch=amd64 --enable-libshaderc --enable-libplacebo --enable-vulkan --enable-vaapi --enable-amf --enable-libvpl --enable-ffnvcodec --enable-cuda --enable-cuda-llvm --enable-cuvid --enable-nvdec --enable-nvenc
  libavutil      58.  2.100 / 58.  2.100
  libavcodec     60.  3.100 / 60.  3.100
  libavformat    60.  3.100 / 60.  3.100
  libavdevice    60.  1.100 / 60.  1.100
  libavfilter     9.  3.100 /  9.  3.100
  libswscale      7.  1.100 /  7.  1.100
  libswresample   4. 10.100 /  4. 10.100
  libpostproc    57.  1.100 / 57.  1.100
[AVHWDeviceContext @ 0x5587ca979e00] Cannot load libcuda.so.1
[AVHWDeviceContext @ 0x5587ca979e00] Could not dynamically load CUDA
Device creation failed: -1.
Failed to set value 'cuda=cu:0' for option 'init_hw_device': Operation not permitted
Error parsing global options: Operation not permitted

Looks like it might be a jellyfin error now instead of truenas acting up. I’m going to send this over to the jellyfin guys and see what they come up with. I will post the fix here if there is one. I should have stayed with the older version till I looked up the release. This is what I get for doing it at 1am…

Issue Resolved… When the application got updated it reverted all of the gpu passthrough settings to their defaults, but didn’t effect any of the other settings so when I quickly looked through them I didn’t think anything changed. I’m going to plan these updates better in the future to avoid having to update multiple machines and applications at 1 AM. Seems that I forget important checks.

Thanks for your time.