Install the simplest webserver for static html

Hi all, I would like to install the simplest webserver on my NAS at home, to be able to put a few html pages. My NAS runs TrueNAS CORE 13.0-U6.1.

-I read this thread about danb35 script to install Caddy, and the information given on the related github page, but I just want static html pages, that are exposed on the internet that I can access through my already owned domain. The caddy description sounds like it does too many things and I feel lost (I am not fully comfortable with all the steps and manipulations to be honest).

-Iā€™ve checked forwebdav and shared folders in the truenas services but itā€™s a file hosting service that doesnā€™t actually show the html pages (if I understood correctly).

-In the end, Iā€™ve tried to install nginx in a freshmade jail (through this video), then do a SMB share of the iocage/jail/site folder (with default SMB share parameters). From my windows 10 PC, I could access S:\root\usr\local\www\nginx-dist and see the default index.html page but apparently it is not advised to change/edit anything in this folder?
Also I canā€™t save anything because itā€™s protected.

ā†’ So how do I add my own .html files and how could I access them via a shared folder on windows ?

Ideally, one of the html page (or folder where the html page is) should be protected by username and password. The idea is to have something like that in the end :

Structure of the files in the webserver :

The ā€œauthā€ folder needs a username/password to access the html via a web browser :

I would like to access these files and edit html files in a shared folder over my local network (only, no need for public access) on my windows 10 PC (like I did with an SMB share on one of my datasets in a pool ā€“ files here are not ready only, they are fully editable) :

And then I would like to access that website from anywhere on something looking like : https: //mydomain:port_number/index.html (for example)

The idea is that, I could repeat the operation with another port number for a different page (weather info, photography library, online rĆ©sumĆ©, ā€¦)

Additionnal info : I already have a certified nextcloud instance that I access via https: //mydomain and it goes straight to nextcloud (I used danb35 script for the automated install). I donā€™t know if that could be a problem for this webserver question, because ports 80 and 443 are already forwarded to the nextcloud local IP.

Is there a way to configure something simple in my truenas that would fill these needs ? If yes, Iā€™d be grateful for a bit of help please.

Thanks a lot !

It can do a lot of things, but it doesnā€™t have to. For what you describe as your needs, install Caddy using the script, use the Caddyfile described here:

ā€¦and put your HTML files in /usr/local/www/html/ inside the jail. Thatā€™s all you need to do. Can you make it fancier? Sure, but you donā€™t have to.

Caddy is by far the simplest webserver to configure.

+1

I am hosting some html files in just this way.

Interesting! Iā€™ve never heard of Caddy.

By far the simplest webserver Iā€™ve run was with Althttpd which makes set up trivial at best. Iā€™m not sure if I ran it stand-alone or with something like inetd but the basics are: itā€™s just a TCP daemon you start with a one-liner (either out-right or with a service).

Like:
althttpd -root ~/www -port 8080

If you have any interest in web serving in general, I think itā€™s worth paying some attention to. It can accept at least some configuration via command-line arguments, but normally uses a config file (which IMO is easier to deal with, but YMMV). But the complete config file to serve a set of static HTML files would look like this:

:80 {
    root * /path/to/pages
    file_server
}

No further configuration is needed. You can add bells and whistles if you wantā€“OP mentioned authentication, which is easy enough to add as described here: basic_auth (Caddyfile directive) ā€” Caddy Documentation. But for most purposes, itā€™s very simple to configure.

1 Like

Iā€™ll have to look it over. I like the chroot ability of OpenBSDā€™s httpd, so recently, I tried to set up a simple git repo server using ob httpd but failed (but I think that was because of Fast/Slow CGI) so I just mocked up my own TCP client/server thing in C (havenā€™t gotten to take that very far past the alpha stage though).

Iā€™ll check it out.

Im using caddy for hosting an HTML static site and It work like a charm: install is very easy with the script mentioned, the setup for this kind of use is pretty easy tooā€¦ Canā€™t ask more :slight_smile:

I donā€™t know how docker containers work in CORE, but in SCALE, in a jailmaker jail, this docker compose gives you a full LEMP stack. I use this to run my static webpage:

version: "3.8"
services:
  nginx:
    image: nginx:latest
    restart: unless-stopped
    ports:
      - 8080:80
    volumes:
      - ./www:/var/www/html
      - ./default.conf:/etc/nginx/conf.d/default.conf
      - ./.htpasswd:/etc/nginx/.htpasswd
    links:
      - php-fpm
    depends_on:
      - php-fpm
  php-fpm:
    image: chialab/php:8.3-fpm
    volumes:
      - ./www:/var/www/html
      - ./php.ini:/usr/local/etc/php/php.ini
    depends_on:
      - mariadb
  # MariaDB Service
  mariadb:
    image: mariadb:10.9
    environment:
      MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD: mypassword
    volumes:
      - ./mysqldata:/var/lib/mysql
  # phpMyAdmin Service
  phpmyadmin:
    image: phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin:latest
    ports:
      - 8084:80
    environment:
      PMA_HOST: mariadb
    depends_on:
      - mariadb
networks: {}

Of course adjust the details, passwords, paths, ports and config files as needed to suit your set up :slight_smile:

1 Like

They donā€™t.

Doesnā€™t that seem like a bit of overkill?

1 Like

It is, since Iā€™m not using the M or PhpAdmin parts of the stack. That was just a bit of homelab fun :).

I do need php and sockets for one of my webpages though, so itā€™s not complete overkill.

Of course the OP could just run the nginx portion of the stack if thatā€™s all they need, then put their index.html in /var/www/html and hit ā€˜startā€™.

Oh :frowning:

Hey dan, thanks Iā€™ll use caddy then, I like your script which make things easy.
Iā€™ve got a question though, I already forward ports 80 and 443 to the nextcloud jail on my TrueNAS (which I installed through your script too). Should I create another domain name and open 80 and 443 for this on the caddy webserver jailā€™s IP ? Or can I use other ports ?
thanks

You can use other ports, but the best would actually be to use your caddy instance as a reverse proxy. This can be achieved by adding a second site block to your Caddyfile.

root * /path/to/pages
    file_server
}

nextcloud.domain.com {
    reverse_proxy 192.168.x.x
}

Then forward the ports to your caddy jail. (and of course have whichever domain is needed configured so your DNS goes to your public IP)

Supposing iā€™d do the reverse proxy, the idea would be that i have :

1. main.domain.com (where nextcloud on 192.168.1.1, plex on 192.168.1.2, homeassistant on 192.168.1.3 are, on different ports this is already working fine)
  2. weather.domain.com (where it is forwarded to the TrueNAS webserver i am trying to setup)

how would the reverse proxy know to forward to plex or nextcloud or home assistant ?

And if I donā€™t do the reverse proxy but just a different port, can I still use " TLS with HTTP validation" that comes with the caddy install script ? How can I change ports in the caddy installation for the webserver ?

thanks a lot !

You would forward ports 80 and 443 only to caddy. Caddy differentiates what to route to where based on the domain name. In the example I gave, it would forward nextcloud.domain.com to whichever IP you tell it to. Same goes for every other domain and IP.

Hi Victor, thanks for your quick reply.
Iā€™ve installed caddy and tried to follow the github install indications as precisely as I could.
Now, I need to edit the Caddyfile (where only :2020 - hello world is written) and add this code hereunder, if i understood correctly ?:

Before I forward :80 and :443 to caddyā€™s jail instead of my nextcloud jail (which i installed through danb35 script and requires :80 and :443). Is it gonna mess things up ? (see picture for ports fwd) I would need to delete my existing forwardings

{
	acme_ca https://acme-staging-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/directory
	email golfox2@email.com
}

root * /usr/local/www/html
	file_server

}

main.domain.com {
	reverse_proxy /nextcloud* 192.168.1.36
	reverse_proxy /plex* 192.168.1.35:32400 (am i supposed to put the ports here or not?)
	reverse_proxy /homeassistant* 192.168.1.71:8123
	reverse_proxy /weather 192.168.1.40 
}

so a few more questions to verify before i break everything :slight_smile: :

1. instead of writing in the URL : main. domain. com:32400 (i.e. for plex) i should write main. domain. com/plex ?
  2. the webserver html file is going to be accessed via ā€¦/weather/index.html ?
  3. am i supposed to write the ports after the local ip in the reverse_proxy /192ā€¦:ā€œportā€ ?
  4. what about :443 for TLS ?

tell me if you need more info :slight_smile: and thanks a lot for the help I really appreciate

screenshot port forwarding

1. Correct but see 5
  2. Correct but see 5
  3. You should input the ports in the Caddyfile
  4. Caddy does TLS automatically
  5. Web servers do not always play well with having apps on sub-paths so I would recommend having the services on subdomains instead of sub paths ie /plex

Thanks for your answer.
Assuming Iā€™m not yet making a subdomain for each service (I want to try
this before)

For question 3 iā€™m not sure I get it, but I feel like it doesnā€™t make sense to put the local ip 192. ā€¦ with a port :32400. So in the end is it supposed to look like :

{
	email golfox2@email.com
}

file_server
}

main.domain.com { 
	reverse_proxy /weather* 192.168.1.40 
}

:32400 {
	reverse_proxy /plex* 192.168.1.35
}

:8123 {
	reverse_proxy /homeassistant* 192.168.1.71
}

Thereā€™s deliberately no port for nextcloud as I access it directly from main. domain. com.
And of course my routerā€™s public IP is setup with a DNS with my main. domain. com address.
Sorry for my ignorance, I donā€™t think I got the maths behind the thing yet, but I feel iā€™m not too far ā€¦ ?

why is there a star * after the /ā€¦* on each reverse proxy ?
thank you !

Sorry for the confusion. The port and IP are inserted together. So essentially your are saying ā€œforward this domain to this IP and this portā€

Like this

{
	email golfox2@email.com
}

file_server
}

main.domain.com { 
}

nextcloud.domain.com {
        reverse_proxy 192.168.1.136
}

plex.domain.com {
	reverse_proxy 192.168.1.35:32400
}

homeassistant.domain.com {
	reverse_proxy 192.168.1.71:8123
}

The above should work but this next piece is what I was talking about when I mentioned proxying to sub paths. Web servers donā€™t play nice with those. Best is to use a sub domain like above

main.domain.com { 
}

Okay, then if I understood correctly, ideally iā€™d create another subdomain also for the weather website, so :

{
   email golfox2@email.com
}

file_server
}

nextcloud.domain.com {
    reverse_proxy 192.168.1.36
}

plex.domain.com {
	reverse_proxy 192.168.1.35:32400
}

homeassistant.domain.com {
	reverse_proxy 192.168.1.71:8123
}

weather.domain.com {
	reverse_proxy 192.168.1.40 
}

So if I go to nextcloud.domain.com it goes directly to my nextcloud instance,
if I type weather.domain.com it will show my static html pages which are located in :80 ā€¦/html, file_server without having to write any port number in the URL bar.

And this, I know, not recommended because doesnā€™t play nice, but in a perfect world would work?:

main.domain.com {
	reverse_proxy /plex* 192.168.1.35:32400 
	reverse_proxy /homeassistant* 192.168.1.71:8123
}

Is the Caddy server itself running on 192.168.1.40? In that case, no, what youā€™d want to do is get rid of the :80 block entirely, and then do:

weather.domain.com {
    file_server
}