Install TrueNAS Scale on boot drive using another PC

Having had a Core installation running stably for a couple of years I decided to convert to Scale recently to benefit from the docker apps. Long story short the conversion wasn’t a great success and I had nothing but issues after doing it. I’m now looking to just cut my losses and do a fresh Scale install.

My problem is that I’m using a Supermicro server board that only has VGA output. I moved house a while back and threw out two VGA monitors thinking I’d never need them again. How wrong I was.

I don’t have a VGA/HDMI converter so I’m a bit stuck. I’m wondering whether a solution might be to put the SSD that I want to be my boot drive into my main PC and install it there, then put it back into my NAS box. I don’t know whether the install is different dependent upon the computer’s hardware.

Does this sound like a feasible solution?

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, very bad move, but don’t you have IPMI?

Sure, but it’s fairly likely that you’ll need to reconfigure the network, for which you’d need either serial console or video output.

1 Like

Apparently the board does support IPMI but I don’t know the first thing about it. When I built the box I tried it but I didn’t really have a clue what I was doing and couldn’t find much online in the way of explanation. I think there seems to be an expectation that anyone Googling IPMI already has a certain level of understanding, which I don’t.

Yeah, good point. I hadn’t considered that.

Thank you for your help. I had another look at IPMI and this time was able to figure it out so I’m all good now.

I discovered that the stated ‘new’ board that I bought a few years back on Amazon didn’t use the standard ADMIN username and password for an X9 board, but I just happened to find that you can change the password from within TrueNAS. Fortunately the username was still ADMIN. Once I got IPMI access I discovered there were already other IPMI users set up too lol.

Anyway, thanks again for steering me in the right direction. Appreciate it.

Fellow Italians growing like mushrooms these days. Welcome (back).

Don’t let my username fool you. I’m a Brit living in the US lol. I just happened to do a lot of cycling when I was younger and was a huge fan of Marco Pantani.

1 Like

ZAN ZAN ZAAAN! Plot twist!