Installing TrueNAS Scale as a VM on Proxmox

So I picked up a Dell r730XD to upgrade from my r710. I’ve had the 710 running for 5 years with an older version of TrueNAS, along with a bunch of other VM’s for my various needs…

I installed Proxmox using UEFI instead of legacy bios mode, as I understand it makes things easier with passthrough and stuff… So as I’m starting to install everything, I can’t get TrueNAS to install. Its like the VM can’t see the virtual DVD drive to boot from.

I’ve installed a couple other VM’s, using the exact same settings, and they work perfectly. I have no idea what I’m missing…

My goal is to pass through the controller for all 24 drives to TrueNAS so I can run multiple pools. I’m booting off a SSD that is plugged into a SATA port.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction as to what I’m missing… My google-fu just isn’t getting me the answers to fix this issue…

It looks like it just can’t see the ISO to boot from. This happens with some ISOs in Proxmox. I’m not sure why.

Try this:

When the VM starts, while the white bar is going across the screen, there’s an option to enter the VM’s UEFI settings (via hitting escape, I think? It’ll say…).

Go in there, disable Secure Boot (this disables Secure Boot inside the VM, which is on by default and entirely separate from the Secure Boot settings on your Proxmox node’s physical, real motherboard BIOS.

In fact, unless you need it, it’s probably a good idea to disable secure boot inside every new VM you install. It complicates Ubuntu installs, too, for example.

Thank you so much! I can’t believe I forgot about secure boot… That solved my problem, and am installing TrueNAS now!

Thank you again!

1 Like

Awesome!

I’d been using Proxmox for months before I realized VMs put themselves in Secure Boot mode by default. I forget what I was trying to do (it wasn’t TrueNAS), but I ran into the same issue–the VM refused to see the ISO with Secure Boot enabled. Pretty sure it was Windows 11, now that I think about it. Which is kind of ironic, really.

I wish that was off by default, and it was exposed in the GUI via the options section of the VM config, but I understand the reasons they want it on. In theory, it’s more secure, and Proxmox is an enterprise hypervisor.

Still, no fun when it happens. -_-