Jails for version 13.3 have `daemon` command broken, but there is no new update beside 13.0-U6.2. How can I create a functional jail now?

I’m getting particularly frustrated since TrueNAS CORE seems to have reached a broken state that’s not addressable.

In my system when I try to create a new jail, I can only select version 13.3. Running iocage fetch results in the ability to download version 14.0 and 14.1, which are not compatible with the TrueNAS kernel (13.0).

All jails with (still) version 13.2 have daemon working properly, but as soon as I switch to 13.3, nothing works.
I lost many hours on this.

How am I supposed to create a functional jail at this point?

I was able to download a previous version and create a jail with the following commands (the UI can’t see the previous release for some reason):

iocage fetch --root-dir /pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/amd64/ --server ftp-archive.freebsd.org
# selected version 13.2-RELEASE
iocage create -r 13.2-RELEASE --name foo --thickjail
1 Like

Some progress, now for some reason on a brand new jail, installing node results in:

ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/bin/node: Undefined symbol \"_ZNSt3__122__libcpp_verbose_abortEPKcz\"

Upgrade to TrueNAS CORE 13.3.

5 Likes

IMHO everyone that use jails on Core, should start migrating on docker ASAP (im using a small VM flawlessy)

Nah. I’m sticking with jails on BSD.

5 Likes

Docker really isn’t a replacement for jails. Sandboxes using Jailmaker are somewhat like jails; LXC containers (said to be coming with 25.04) are closer yet, but Docker just isn’t.

2 Likes

Maybe planning for a migration (not necessarily to SCALE), but there is still value in CORE. And, I got the feeling it will be on limited support for quite a while.

Just my personal opinion, due to my (limited) experience, started some months ago (neither knowing what a jail was).
If i could start using jails properly was only thanks to your script (@dan , @victor). And they helped me learning some best practice too.
Now, i absolutely don’t want to argue “about the nature” of these services, i have only to learn about… As Core basic home user I just focus on the fact that i would install/run and manage [1] my app in the easiest way… off course, i don’t wanna be limited on what app i can run too (example, setup paperless on jail has been a nightmare) .

1. that include the portability ↩︎

All you folks who actually prefer running FreeBSD and jails - what’s keeping you from upgrading to 13.3? It’s the only way forward. Just upgrade, already. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

That was what I wanted to do, but vms have a breaking bug on core where they go on a deadlock, depending how many cores you give to the vm. I have one and it reaches the lock roughly every 4 days and i need to power cycle it manually.

I already planned a move to scale, but I wanted to wait the new version that’s coming out with sandboxes.
Jailmaker though is very appealing.

I’m also terrified of the migration, somebody lost their main pool, I’m watching their thread closely to see if they manage to recover it.

I was waiting for the status page to indicate that 13.3 is the latest version, but it never did.
My system also doesn’t find the update to 13.3, only to 13.0-U6.2, so I literally realized only today that there is a new version and I’m assuming I need U.2 first.

From my perspective, given the disaster with the jails on 13.3, FreeBSD lost all my trust. A breaking change with no correction.

Not FreeBSD’s fault. You need a 13.3 kernel to run 13.3 jails.

The TN CORE update file can be downloded from

https://download.freenas.org/13.3/STABLE/RELEASE/TrueNAS-13.3-RELEASE-manual-update.tar

And you just might discover that your VM problems are fixed in 13.3. Many bhyve improvements went into that version. Only open problem I know of is that the colour palette is wrong in web VNC. External VNC clients work fine.

This sound annoying… but honestly, i didn’t have any problem yet.
Actually (via cronjob) i stop the VM during the night, and restart in the morning… but i have let it run for days without issue (1 virtual cpu / 2 thread, don’t think can’t allocate more). Maybe is a not wanted workaround?

Same, i will wait the first stable version and i will migrate. I will continue use Core only on the secondary NAS (where im stick to 13.0.2, no need jail there only pure storage), where backup are stored for disaster case.
I have read too some users have encounter hard problem, but in the most case we should can revert the update with a fresh install → config upload

not agree at all, but i can understand how you feel

It increases with the amount of cores/threads, I’m running with the maximum (I think it’s 6?) because I have a heavy workload there and that’s probably why it’s showing more often. I do have a reboot scheduled with cron, but depending on luck, it might trigger sooner rather than later and then I end up having to power cycle manually.

Yeah, I have one server and not sure how to approach this. From my understanding, the “right way” to use TrueNAS would be to use it only for storage, and then host apps somewhere else. But I do appreciate being able to mount the hard drives directly.

I totally see your point, to be clear. My perspective is from the type of user I am: I use FreeBSD as a home user, not for work, however I could be considered a power user, in the sense that I’m very familiar with the command line. This category is usually the worst one from a business perspective (can get the most from open source without having to pay), so it’s also the least supported one. Nothing against iX for this, as I said, we are the worst category in terms of business.

That being said, being forced to deal with potentially breaking upgrades every 6 months, combined with the time where you must ABSOLUTELY NOT UPGRADE (I think it’s from February until June) or everything breaks, TrueNAS has been possibly the most scary O.S. I’ve ever used.
The 13.3 has been released in August and my system on 13.0 is already in an unstable situation, where the software I have running on it is broken.
Not trying to convince you, just stating why I think I’m forced to go to SCALE (and convincing myself in the process).

Still terrified!

1 Like

Well. I went to scale for the same VM freezing issue.

But I thought @pmh figured that out…

This instruction seems available from 2012 Ivy bridge (2015 for AMD), hope im not wrong.
In any case, probably for the low load, my VM seems rock solid

Have a second machine make easier do replication, but you still can save data on temporary pool (like via USB, on SSD or CMR disk). I know, Is quite different, but better have a full copy on 1 disk, than have only a file backup

Oh wow, thank you for linking that. I will give that a try!

I’m still convinced I need to move to SCALE, after all what happens in 6 months when FreeBSD will upgrade all their packages to the new kernel, but CORE won’t get a new kernel?

iX has been notoriously late to follow FreeBSD updates for years. The FreeBSD release on which TN CORE 13.0 is built was EOL in August 2023! Blame iX but not the FreeBSD project.

1 Like

I guess so, I just don’t love the concept of breaking “anything older” once it becomes EOL. It’s similar to how Android is: stop updates, your perfectly good phone becomes more dangerous over time until apps stop supporting it.