Login dificulties

hello, recently i instaled truenas core in my server, and i logged in for the first time monday 15, for catch some infos before configuration, and in the first time login, it’s necessary create a password, i create the password and logged in the server, but I didn’t know it was necessary create an user, because i only gonna configure the server yesterday (april 16), but when start my server and put the IPim my browser, asked for username and password, i only have the password and I can’t log in, someone can help me, i can’t reset username or password

p.s sorry for my bad english, I’m Brazillian and I’m nervous/anxious

Didn’t you create the password when you installed TrueNAS CORE? The user for CORE is always root, and the password should have been created on install.

1 Like

That’s right. You can only login into the management GUI as root by default.

Good luck and consider investing in a good password management application like strongbox, if you’re a Mac/iOS user.

Core needs to finally implement this. It’s cleaner. It eliminates confusion.

It’s an easy fix…

2 Likes

I voted for your suggestion and I 100% agree. If the only user that can log into the webUI is root then one might as well eliminate the user name field.

1 Like

The ticket was from 2020, so maybe after five years or so they’ll get to it? I know it’s a very complicated feature that probably requires a major overhaul of the entire codebase. /s :smirk:

1 Like

Oh come on, what’s better that vaultwarden hosted in your very own TrueNAS CORE jail?

1 Like

I tend to agree, but the username is explicitly stated, both in the installer and in the docs, to be root. Some people just can’t be helped.

1 Like

So why make the user type in “root” every time, like it’s some sot of redundant ritual?

For the same reason, we wouldn’t make them type in the hostname or IP address.

An input field should only exist if it accepts text other than the default / hardwired.

Imagine an “option” of “What filesystem would you like to use for these drives?”, and the only available option is “ZFS”. :laughing:

If “root” is the only accepted username for the Core login page, then it should be defaulted, and only prompt for the password.

SCALE does accept different usernames. But Core does not (and never will, which was true since the days of FreeNAS.)

1 Like

They can even change the hint from “Password” to “Root Password”.

1 Like

I suppose with SCALE coming with the ability to log in using different users, there might be some confusion. But with CORE going out…

I’ve had trouble in the past trying to get different users created that can log in to CORE, but needless to say, it didn’t work. If you want to do that, use SCALE.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with you. I don’t especially care about it–it’s probably about #873 on my list of features I’d like to see in CORE–but I don’t see any reason to require the username input.

2 Likes

i created a password when i installed the system, but when i try to log, i put the correct password but give to me an error message