Migrate to New Hardware

I have completed the burn-in of a new [core] NAS.

I would like to migrate my data from the old NAS to the new NAS, and then repurpose the old NAS as a remote backup machine.

I’m sure there is a guide on how to do this, but I haven’t been able to find it. Can someone please provide a link of resources for me to read.

Important differences between the hardware:

• Number of hard drives
  • Size of hard drives
  • Operating system

Old NAS
Release: TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1
Case: Dell T-310
Socket: LGA1156
Chipset: Intel 3420
CPU: Xeon X3450 / 2.66 Ghz, 8M Cache, Turbo, HT
RAM: 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR3-1066 (PC3-8500) ECC Registered DIMM
SAS: Dell H310, 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT Mode
SAS Backplane: Dell N621K
Power Supply: Dell, non-redundant 375W
Storage Pool: RAID-Z2 - 5x4TB WD Red Pro WD4003FFBX, 7200 rpm
Boot Pool: Mirrored - 2x120 GB Crucial 2.5" Internal SSD
UPS: none
Built: 2020-08

New NAS
Release: TrueNAS-13.0-U6.1
Case: Fractal Define R5
Motherboard: Supermicro, MBD-X11SSM-F Micro ATX
Socket: LGA1151
Chipset: Intel C236
CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v6 3.5GHz
RAM: 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-2400 (PC4-19200) ECC UDIMM
SAS: none
Power Supply: Seasonic Prime PX-500 80Plus Platnium 500W
Storage Pool: RAID-Z2 - 6x6TB WD Red Plus WD60EFPX, 5400 rpm
Boot Pool: Mirrored - 2x32GB Supermicro SATA DOM
UPS: none
Built: 2024-01

Cheers,

The easiest[1] solution would be hook up both systems to the same switch and replicate your data to the new NAS with a remote replication task:

Carefully read over the possible settings, especially you’d want to pay attention to full filesystem replication and set readonly to ignore.

Have a look at the page and familiarize yourself with the process. Maybe create test dataset on the old system and replicate that and see how it goes.

When setting up the snapshots and replication tasks, I prefer to do it per dataset and not just replicate the whole pool at once.

1. The quickest solution would be to just swap out the hard drives and import the pool in the new system, but then you’d miss out on the upgrade (5x4 TB to 6x6 TB). ↩︎

3 Likes

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

1 Like

I’ve been running into problems.

I set up a Replication task to:

• Pull from the old server to the new server
  • “(Almost) Full Filesystem Replication”
  • “Destination Dataset Read-Only Policy” = Ignore
  • “Replication from Scratch”

The replication ran for about 3 hours (about 5%) then failed with…

Full ZFS replication failed to transfer all the children of the snapshot homeArchive@blahblahblah. The error was: cannot unmount ‘/var/db/system/syslog-blahblahblah’: pool or dataset busy Broken pipe.

My System Dataset is located on: homeArchive.

Underneath that, I have several other datasets in a folder structure. However, my Periodic Snapshot Task takes a snapshot of homeArchive (with recursion), not of the child datasets directly.

Do I need to make sure there are no other tasks running before I can replicate?

Cheers,

Edit – won’t a Full System Pull delete my system dataset and my user information?

Edit 2 – I think I’m on the right track. I ran a new set of Snapshots on the old server last night and then modified the Replication task this morning. It’s about 65% complete.

The new Replication task replicates datasets below my root folder (i.e., not including the System Dataset). When I tried to do this before I ran into an error. Even though I had created Periodic Snapshots, the status indicated “Pending” rather than “Finished”. Consequently, the Replication task said it couldn’t find the snapshots. But today, after creating new snapshots last night, Replication seems to be working.

Edit 3 – Replication seems to have worked. I’ll mark this thread solved after I have had a chance to test the datasets and verify they actually contain data.