Network config and setup - dedicating ports to different functions

Right, next config issue on the big old new server :).

I’ve 4 seperate network ports on my new TN-S setup. One setup as the primary interface using DHCP (with a reserved ip address 192.168.0.16 from the router) and the second on-board set with a fixed ip address of 192.168.100.1 and onlyconnected via the second vlan on the switch to the main office PC as the back-end storage network, so that I can move large amounts of data about without impacting the home network etc… PC has a secondary card also with a fixed IP specified…

Im trying to run VM’s which will have internet and local access to the server via the main router. I could get the VM to talk to the internet but couldnt ping or get a route to the NAS itself (Host unreachable) when initially setting it up and telling it to use the main Network device. I guess it couldnt talk both out of and into the same port at the same time?

So, I tried setting a bridge connection but that seemed to grind the networking to a halt and still didnt allow me to access the NAS from inside the VM.

I’ve a secondary two port card and tried plugging that into the switch/router plus telling the VM to use that instead.

The networking on the dashboard shows the port as live, but no IP address is listed. the VM can’t access the internet either.

I also can’t see the MAC address of the new card either…

“only one interface can be used for DHCP” pops up if I try to tell the card to get it’s ip address automatically from the Router…

So, how do I set up the second card as a dedicated network route for the VM’s on the NAS, get the VM’s able to see the shares on the NAS over the network and see the MAC address? Also, can I get the card to just fetch an IP address from the router?

When using/sharing the primary card it gives the main VM a 192.168.0.111 address, but can’t talk to the host.

If I could route all the networking separately from the NAS main interface itself then that’d be grand…

Ta,

Stu.

Networking is very visual, I’d suggest trying to draw what you want.

A list of subnets. and associated bridges and IP addresses can also help.

To get traffic out of a NAS through the right port requires the right static routes.

A list of status routes you need also helps.

I could probably plot it out later :).

It’s a pretty simple setup tbh, everything runs off the same subnet apart from the SAN network which is its own subnet/vlan on the office managed switch….

If I remember correctly, TrueNAS does not work well, (or at all), with 1 NIC set to DHCP and others set to static IPs. Meaning if you have 1 NIC active, DHCP is fine. But, more than 1, you should, (or must), use static IPs for all.