NFS No user or password request and no folders or files visible

Long story short, old media player that since SMB1 is no more I need to make NFS work with password request.

Notes:
-Below in 775 ‘Movies’ it works fine. but I also need ‘systest’ to ask for user and password.
-NFS Service is at default with only exception ticked: Serve UDP NFS clients.
-NFS Share: is at default with only exception ticked: All dirs
-systest: Has it’s own user (jo) and group (systest) systest group ‘Samba Authent’ is unchecked. jo is also a member of systest group.
-systest Dataset: is at default except for Name and Comments.

mnt-
	-Media 775 (dataset)- |
				          |
			              |-Movies 775 and subfolders > NFS mounts all good, can navigate and play files.
			              |
			              |-systest 770 -|(Dataset)   > Test 1 NFS mounts but no subfolder, files or usr/passwd request
				                         |
				                         |-tank 770-| > Test 2 NFS mount but no files or usr/passwd request
					 	  	             |
					                     |-files 660

The NFS protocol doesn’t support using user/password.
You will need to possibly create separate exports for each dataset (remember datasets aren’t directories).
You will possibly need to re-evaluate 770 depending on whether you expect to be able to traverse this mountpoint.

Thats what I thought. I guess I’m either perpertually stuck on core 13.0.6U1 / Scale 22.12 or find dumb clients that support > SMB2 which is impossible since everything is parasitically ‘Smart’ these days.

I wonder if there is such a thing as an SMB2 to SMB1 interpreter/emulator that can be installed on a router. (just dreaming)

I don’t know what you mean but if NFS has no protection then I may as well use UPNP/DLNA for then there is no need to create shares or mount points on the clients.

In any case it’s SMB1 that I need. Who would have thought as insecure as it is it’s actually more secure than the alternatives of NFS and UPNP/DLNA.

Anyway, Thanks.

Why do you think that “SMB1 is no more”? We still have SMB1 support in our latest development nightlies.

Why do you think that “SMB1 is no more”? We still have SMB1 support in our latest development nightlies.

Preparing for the future:
I have come accross it in TN docs in the past for Core & Scale as it’s being depreciated from samba 4.16 and if I remember correctly from TN Core in one of the next releases with Samba 4.16. As I also belielve it has already been removed from Scale version 22.12.3.1 and above.

Current TN Core 13.0-U6.1
root@truenas:~ # smbstatus
Samba version 4.15.13

SMB1 is being deprecated because it’s rather insecure. NFS was never really intended to have auth and it’s more of a way to mount remote shares that uses permissions with matched uid/gid of the client system.

You could make this a lot more secure with Kerberos and NFSv4, but that is a lot more technical and non-trivial to setup.

Blockquote

I have come accross it in TN docs in the past for Core & Scale as it’s being depreciated from samba 4.16 and if I remember correctly from TN Core in one of the next releases with Samba 4.16. As I also belielve it has already been removed from Scale version 22.12.3.1 and above.

I can speak rather authoritatively that it hasn’t been removed from either Core or SCALE.

1 Like

1- SMB1 Being depreciated from samba version 4.16 and as I put above current core version is samba 4.15.13 that means that the current TrueNAS Core 13.0-U6.1 still has SMB1 one working and it will continue to work until IX I guess changes to current samba version. I never said Core does not have SMB1, I said samba V4.16 has been depriciated.

I’m trying to avoid breaking things when it happens or if I migrate to Scale.
https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.16.0.html

2- Scale Windows Shares (SMB) | TrueNAS Documentation Hub
Now without going into detail and not to question your authority see if you can still use SMB1 in Scale (I have not migrated) try this.
a- First check samba version is 4.16 or greater
b- Check existing SMB1 clients actually are SMB1 and still work.
c- Try and create a new SMB1 share and see if it is possible.

‘c’ is the crucial one. I have come accross in the past with Scale Doc that stated that from Scale version 22.12.3.1 it would still be able to access SMB1 shares but not create any.

I won’t post the link due to the reference to ‘c’ above have been removed by IX or other so they are of no use.

Does TrueNAS Core current 13.0-U6.1 have SMB1 > YES
Does TrueNAS Scale current have SMB1 > I don’t know, I can only go by IX docs

So to end this post, I can’t do what I need when SMB1 is no more In Truenas unless I stay on the last version to support SMB1 or buy new parasitic ‘Smart’ clients. The alternatives in my clients, NFS, UPNP and DLNA provide no security with no user or password protection.

Such is life.

In the current release of scale you can also activate smb1 support. Our sambassador is correct and it’s not gone from truenas.

I think you’ve misread those release notes

SMB1 protocol has been deprecated, particularly older dialects

We take this opportunity to remind that we have deprecated and
disabled by default, but not removed, the whole SMB1 protocol since
Samba 4.11. If needed for security purposes or code maintenance we
will continue to remove older protocol commands and dialects that are
unused or have been replaced in more modern SMB1 versions.

Eventually SMB1 as a whole will be removed, but no broader change is
announced for 4.16.

1 Like