Old rsync service being deprecated notification hasn't been removed from notification area after upgrading from Bluefin

I started my server on Bluefin and had the rsync service enabled. Obviously the rsync service was removed when Cobia released, so the last release of Bluefin gave you a notification that rsync was deprecated and will be removed in the future.

Well, I left rsync enabled when I updated my TN Scale system to Cobia, and the warning message remained on the system after the update was complete. I assumed it would dissappear after some time, but it’s still there. Even now after upgrading to Dragonfish, it still hasn’t been removed from the notifications area.

I’m wondering, is there a way to remove it? It can only be dismissed, not deleted. I was thinking on how to remove it, and the only thing I could think of was booting the system back to Bluefin to turn off rsync, then back to the latest release.

Here’s a picture showing the notification.

That would be the issue, yes

Several built-in services from SCALE 22.12 (Bluefin) in System Settings > Services are replaced by community applications. You must disable these built-in services and begin using the equivalent application before upgrading to SCALE 23.10 (Cobia).

It seems like you’re now in a state where the service is written to the database as activated, but it no longer exists to disable in the UI.

I’m not sure what the best workaround would be here. I think what you suggest should work, except if you have updated your pools in Cobia the ZFS version might prevent you from reverting. There may also be a way to disable it via shell, though I’m not sure since the service you want to disable no longer exists. I would first make sure you have rock solid backups of your data before trying anything.

I have not upgraded my datasets yet, so I’ll try downgrading to Bluefin. I don’t know how I missed that warning.

I do have a full back-up on another nas. If it comes down to it, I’ll just redo my Scale server from scratch.

Thanks for the reply.

So I went ahead and fixed this issue. To provide an update, I downgrading to the last Bluefin release which did boot just fine, but with a warning that the boot-pool had extra things enabled that the system didn’t enable itself. From here, turning off the rsync service and booting back to Dragonfish didn’t work. Turns out each boot environment retains their own settings and don’t share them.

So I went back to Bluefin, turned off rsync, and then went through the update process from Bluefin, to Cobia, then to Dragonfish. This worked but I had to redo a lot of settings since I technically went back in time to my previous system environment back then.

Since I would have to redo a lot of the settings, I ended up just doing a fresh install of v24.04.0 to make sure there were no issues with the system, then reapplying my settings.

2 Likes