Read-only NFS share works, then becomes inaccessible

I have a TrueNAS box at the end of a replication chain that shares a read-only NFS mount of a read-only replicated filesystem. I share this directory to a Raspberry Pi running Rasbian, and for a while it works.

Then, minutes or hours later, possibly after a replication with new data (but I’m far from sure), the share drops off and stops working. I can detect the failure from Rasbian, but I can’t successfully remount so far without rebooting the TrueNAS box offering the share.

Flare is our Raspbian box. Here it is working:

root@flare:/mnt# ls -alg
total 24
drwxr-xr-x 4 root 4096 May 19 14:09 .
drwxr-xr-x 18 root 4096 Mar 15 07:12 …
drwxrwxrwx 2 root 4096 Apr 14 05:30 LocalPlaylists
drwxrwxr-x 10 root 12 May 18 09:54 ManzanitaMusic
root@flare:/mnt#

And here it is once it stops working:

ls: cannot access ‘ManzanitaMusic’: Input/output error
total 12
d??? ? ? ? ? ManzanitaMusic
root@flare:/mnt# cd ManzanitaMusic
bash: cd: ManzanitaMusic: Input/output error

Here’s the relevant part of /etc/fstab on Flare (Raspbian client):

192.168.0.111:/mnt/LakrisPoolNew/MazanitaPoolBackups/ManzanitaMusicDataset /mnt/ManzanitaMusic nfs defaults,retry=60 0 0

I run the following script at regular intervals on Flare because the TrueNAS server takes longer to boot than the Raspberry Pi, and so after a power failure the share may not initially not be available. This corrects for that:

root@flare:~# cat ./MountLakrisMusicIfNeeded.sh
if mountpoint -q /mnt/ManzanitaMusic ; then
echo ManzanitaMusic was already mounted
else
echo ManzanitaMusic not yet mounted, mounting…
mount /mnt/ManzanitaMusic
fi
root@flare:~#

Here’s the script in action when we are mounted properly:

root@flare:/mnt# /root/MountLakrisMusicIfNeeded.sh
ManzanitaMusic was already mounted
root@flare:/mnt# umount /mnt/ManzanitaMusic/
root@flare:/mnt# umount /mnt/ManzanitaMusic/
umount: /mnt/ManzanitaMusic/: not mounted.
ManzanitaMusic not yet mounted, mounting…
ManzanitaMusic was already mounted
total 24
drwxrwxr-x 10 root 12 May 18 09:54 ManzanitaMusic

And here’s what it looks like once the share has fallen off. We can’t repair the issue from the client side, as you can see it doesn’t work:

root@flare:~# ./MountLakrisMusicIfNeeded.sh
mount.nfs: mount system call failed
root@flare:~# umount /mnt/ManzanitaMusic
root@flare:~# umount /mnt/ManzanitaMusic
umount: /mnt/ManzanitaMusic: not mounted.
root@flare:~# ./MountLakrisMusicIfNeeded.sh
mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 192.168.0.111:/mnt/LakrisPoolNew/MazanitaPoolBackups/ManzanitaMusicDataset
root@flare:~#

So, what does the TrueNAS server (Lakris) have to say about this?

I see two errors:

1:

console.log:May 17 20:00:17 lakris 1 2024-05-17T20:00:17.798983-07:00 lakris.doodle.local mountd 1264 - - can’t change attributes for /mnt/LakrisPoolNew/MazanitaPoolBackups/ManzanitaMusicDataset: MNT_DEFEXPORTED already set for mount 0xfffffe00dd4c2040

2:

daemon.log:May 19 14:46:55 lakris 1 2024-05-19T14:46:55.088950-07:00 lakris.doodle.local mountd 1291 - - mount request denied from 192.168.0.112 for /mnt/LakrisPoolNew/MazanitaPoolBackups/ManzanitaMusicDataset

I am making changes to the original filesystem this is a read-only replication of, and so snapshots are likely arriving and are my best guess as to what’s going wrong here. But I’m far from sure, and would welcome any suggestions.

What does TrueNAS /etc/exports look like? Did you write it manually or through the GUI? Scale or Core?

/etc/exports:

root@lakris[~]# cat /etc/exports
/mnt/LakrisPoolNew/MazanitaPoolBackups/ManzanitaMusicDataset -alldirs -ro

Created through the GUI. A lot of command line work on the Raspian client, but all GUI on the TrueNAS box. TrueNAS Core 13.1 by the way:

root@lakris[~]# uname -a
FreeBSD lakris.doodle.local 13.1-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 13.1-RELEASE-p9 n245429-296d095698e TRUENAS amd64

Hmm, Core makes an exports file different from Scale, and with different settings. I don’t remember what mine looked like on Core. Now it looks like this:

"/mnt/Ark/Media"\
	192.168.0.18(sec=sys,anonuid=0,all_squash,insecure,no_subtree_check)\
	192.168.0.100(sec=sys,anonuid=0,all_squash,insecure,no_subtree_check)\
	192.168.0.101(sec=sys,anonuid=0,all_squash,insecure,no_subtree_check)

You might try setting Mapall User to root and see if that helps. Beyond that it will take someone smarter than me to help. no_subtree_check is supposed to make the connection more resilient, but I don’t know how to get that from the Core GUI.

Here is the GUI for my configuration now:

I think the “all dirs” checkbox is maybe equivalent to the “no_subtree_check” flag. Enabling it made no difference.

Neither did setting the Mapall user to Root and the Mapall group to Wheel. It didn’t hurt though - things are just the same, failing after some period of time.

I wecome any additional suggestions. I’m testing theories but don’t know anything for sure.

iirc, All dirs should mean that a client can mount any child directory of the shared directory.

I’m not sure if that also implies child datasets can be mounted, or if they need to be shared invididually, but I do know that you need to mount child datasets individually when using NFS.

Theory: Although I can see nothing wrong with it, repeatedly calling mount shell script is problematic.
Test: Mount script renamed to disable it
Result: NFS share disappears eventually, just as before. I’ve re-enabled the script.

More tests soon.

Theory: Replication snapshots arriving at the TrueNAS core share disrupt NFS sharing.
Test: Disable all replication pulls
Result: NFS mount remains stable for 4+ days.

More tests starting shortly.

1 Like

Theory: Replication snapshots arriving at the TrueNAS core share disrupt NFS sharing.
Test: Force replication with a regular file updates to share and re-enable sharing
Result: NFS mount drops after very first replication, following 4+ days of stability with replications disabled.

I’m convinced. Is this a known bug?

Yes, it appears this is known:

https://ixsystems.atlassian.net/browse/NAS-115722

Very disappointed this is not planned to be fixed.