Recommend Quad NVMe to PCIe Riser

We are using an Gigabyte X399 motherboard which is based on PCIe Gen 3 slots. Can anyone comment what Quad NVMe (M.2) to PCIe adapter is out there that work in IT-Mode (as all I find stated RAID capable, but does not say it works as non-RAID) and compatible with TrueNAS? Thank you in advance

M.2 or U.2?

I believe is M.2 - Samsung 990 Pro. I notices both Asus and Gigabyte came out with their own, but can’t determine if it does IT-Mode ;(

IT Mode refers to Initiator Target in SCSI Host Bus Adapters.

It doesn’t really apply to NVMe… as the host bus… is PCIe, and so is NVMe (the small e is supposed to show the “express” relationship :wink: )

For m.2 NVMe you want a carrier card normally, which can either use bifurcation, where your bios/cpu must support 16x → 4x/4x/4x/4x, or you need to use a card with a PCIe switch (sometimes referred to as a PEX)

The Asus Hyper m.2 Gen 4 card gets good reviews. I just received one the other day. It seems good. It’s a full size card. I haven’t tested it yet. It requires bifurcation.

More Info on this subject:

1 Like

I had the Asus Hyper M.2 V2 (PCIe 3.0) in my Gigabyte Designare EX X399: works well with 4x NVME (bifurcation)

1 Like

I’m using:
https://www.amazon.it/dp/B0C64FVVHY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
I have PCIe 4.0 motherboard with PCIe Bifurcation.
Best Regards,
Antonio