Schedule system reboot

Hi! I am having an issue with my TrueNAS, where each some days I won’t be able to connect to the administration interface. My plugins work, but when I go into the website, and I get this message “Connecting to TrueNAS… Make sure the TrueNAS system is powered on and connected to the network.”

I found that by rebooting constantly the problem is solved. And I saw this thread which talks about the same solution.

My specs are on the very low range, but I am still not sure if it should crash anyways:
CPU: Intel(R) Core™2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
RAM: 2GB
Version: TrueNAS-13.0-U6.1

Well, the minimum required RAM for any version of TrueNAS is 8 GB, and you only have 25% of that–that surely can’t be helping. Scheduling a reboot is easy enough, though; set up a cron job at your desired schedule to run /sbin/reboot.

3 Likes

Wow that is a low amount of memory for sure (the average phone has more than 4x these days!)

What are your specs and use case? It may not be exactly what you want to hear but TrueNAS (or more specifically, ZFS) might not be the most ideal OS for you with that hardware. The crashes are probably some instability caused by running at 1/4 of the minimum memory requirement.

You can reboot on a sch I see dan’s beaten me to it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Although TrueNAS minimums are 8GB, it does work stably with 4GB if you don’t run any services except SSH.

BUT it uses about 1.8GB excluding cache.

2GB is really not enough to stably run even a no-op truenas.

But if you’re happy restarting….

1 Like

I didn’t check the minimum specs, my bad in that case :sweat:

Just for reference I use it for plex + qbittorrent + syncthing and it does a pretty good job (despite of the main interface crash). It was a first test build with an old computer, but it’s probably time for an upgrade :slight_smile:

Thank you guys!

2 Likes