Smart failed. Steps to replace mirror vdev drive?

I have alerts today for one of my mirror vdevs. I ran Long SMART which failed, Short SMART which passed. The sector errors started with 8, then a few hours later were 16. I’ll probably replace the drive, but is there any recourse for remapping or fixing this drive while it’s still in the NAS? My pool has 54% usage.

Device: /dev/sdf [SAT], 8 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors.
    Device: /dev/sdf [SAT], 8 Offline uncorrectable sectors.
    Device: /dev/sdf [SAT], ATA error count increased from 0 to 1.
    Device: /dev/sdf [SAT], Self-Test Log error count increased from 0 to 1.
---
 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   PO--CK   100   100   010    -    584
194 Temperature_Celsius     -O---K   037   052   000    -    37 (0 23 0 0 0)
197 Current_Pending_Sector  -O--C-   100   100   000    -    8
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   ----C-   100   100   000    -    8
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    -OSRCK   200   200   000    -    0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   PO---K   100   100   001    -    0

Since this is the first time I’ve ran into this, is this the correct procedure?

1. offline disk
  2. remove disk
  3. replace disk
  4. online disk

not sure if you on scale or core but the docs explain the process:

1 Like

I don’t know what you want to “online” at the end.
If you have a spare SATA port, the best procedure is to plug in the new drive and replace the failing drive from GUI (Storage>Pool>Status>drive>…). TrueNAS will offline the old drive when it’s done.

1 Like

I’m on SCALE. I was just referencing this in the docs:
“Click Offline on the ZFS Info widget to take the disk offline. The button toggles to Online.”

The correct route for SCALE is:
GUI >Storage>Pool Devices>Drive

“Best bet is to do an online replacement, meaning that you connect the replacement drive while the old drive is still in the system. Don’t offline or remove the failing disk first–install the new one, do the replacement through the GUI, and once that finishes, the old disk will offline automatically. You can then remove it at your convenience.”

If you do this, Scale will format the disk before replacing it. Once its formatted it will change to “removed” and you will not be able to online it if something goes wrong during the replacement (ie read errors from the remaining disk, which could’ve been read from the offlined disk, if only it weren’t formatted…)

NAS-128448

3 Likes