SMB failing to create list of users at reboot

Hi all.
I just upgraded my hardware that my pve host runs on. TrueNAS runs as a VM on here (and has run like this for 4 or so years). During the system upgrade I updated TruNAS from 13.0-Ux (maybe U1 or 2?) to 13.0-U6.1.

Everything is working fine, except Samba. No clients can log in and the SMB logs have:

"status": "NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER"
  {"timestamp": "2024-04-20T11:31:46.889737+1200", "type": "Authentication", "Authentication": {"version": {"major": 1, "minor": 2}, "eventId": 4625, "logonId": "0", "logonType": 3, "status": "NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER", "localAddress": "ipv4:10.1.1.50:445", "remoteAddress": "ipv4:10.1.1.100:59684", "serviceDescription": "SMB2", "authDescription": null, "clientDomain": "", "clientAccount": "charles", "workstation": "Portainer", "becameAccount": null, "becameDomain": null, "becameSid": null, "mappedAccount": "charles", "mappedDomain": "", "netlogonComputer": null, "netlogonTrustAccount": null, "netlogonNegotiateFlags": "0x00000000", "netlogonSecureChannelType": 0, "netlogonTrustAccountSid": null, "passwordType": "NTLMv2", "duration": 328}}

The output of midclt call smb.passdb_list
[]
If I update a SMB user or run the command midclt call smb.synchronize_passdb -job
all the users show up and can log in fine - until the next reboot.

Any ideas on what to look at to fix?

You can simply use a post init script to run midclt call smb.synchronize_passdb -job after each reboot.

Doesn’t solve the issue, but allows you to get around it.

I have tried a /conf/base/etc/rc.local but it is called before smbd so doesn’t seem to work unfortunately

You can (and should) use the WebUI to create the task.
Screenshot_1

Set it as post init and you should be fine.

1 Like

Well that solves the problem, but not the cause…

Thanks

1 Like

:slight_smile: