Snapshot "previous versions" visibility

Hi there,

I really searched a lot (in old forum, reddit and here) but didn’t find any solution:

I setup Truenas Core (TrueNAS-13.0-U6.1) in a AD environment, created several datasets (using template),
created SMB-shares in a subfolder under the dataset, but when trying to access the snapshots using windows explorer /var/log/samba4/log.smbd shows:

[2024/04/19 11:54:42.769081,  0] ../../source3/modules/vfs_default.c:1523(vfswrap_fsctl)
  FSCTL_GET_SHADOW_COPY_DATA: connectpath /mnt/Pool0/DS-Server1/Server1, failed - NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL.

it seems that the .zfs folder in the dataset doesn’t have the appropriate rights.

Where can I start to evaluate that behaviour?

thx for any reply,

Ralf.

I’m suffering from the same issue. Any ideas here?

Tbol,

As long as I don‘t find a solution for that issue, truenas is working as a backup/replica target here. If somehow I‘ll solve how to adjust the appropriate rights for the snapshots, I‘ll post it here.

Ralf.

Ralf,
I could fix it by restarting SMB Service.
My 2k+ users hated me for doing this.

Tbol,
Just 40 users and no one hating me:-)
But several restarts didn‘t help. Would you share your secret? Permission setup?

Ralf.

Snapshots happen at the dataset level therefore sharing out a directory within that dataset may not give you access to those snapshots as they are happening a layer above (albeit recursive). I can’t confirm this as I have never tried what you are doing but what I can say is that when you share out a dataset then snapshots and previous versions work great. Perhaps give that a try and see.

1 Like