TrueNAS CORE 13.3-BETA2 is Now Available

We are pleased to release TrueNAS CORE 13.3-BETA2!

Early Release Software
Early releases of a major version are intended for testing and feedback purposes only. Do not use early-release software for critical tasks.

This early release includes improvements and fixes for issues discovered after the release of 13.3-BETA1.

Notable changes:

• Fixed replication for SSH+NETCAT connections (NAS-128866).
  • Allow creation of more than 4 billion files per dataset (NAS-129166).
  • OpenZFS version updated to 2.2.4-1 (NAS-128853).
  • Fixes to ensure TrueCommand functions as expected on TrueNAS Enterprise High Availability (HA) systems (NAS-128704).
  • UI fix for enclosure screen to correctly report disks as attached (NAS-128468).

See the Release Notes for more details.

Changelog: https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/13.3/gettingstarted/corereleasenotes/#133-beta2-changelog
Download: Download TrueNAS CORE - Completely Free NAS OS
Documentation: TrueNAS CORE | TrueNAS Documentation Hub

Thanks for using TrueNAS CORE! As always, we appreciate your feedback!

4 Likes

https://ixsystems.atlassian.net/browse/NAS-129394

Still an issue…

As noted in the release notes the Virtual Machines features are untested and provided without support to the TrueNAS Community.

1 Like

Understood. But it would be disappointing if something that worked in 13.0 would be broken in “the most stable release” ever.

I understand you won’t support it, but someone could just look into getting the basics to work.

Not trying to be mean or anything, but this is a very necessary feature for anyone using VMs.

I think we need to set some proper expectations here. 13.0-U5+ was “the most stable release ever”, but only after 5+ dot releases to make it so by quashing all the edge cases like this which broke in the transition from FreeBSD 12 → 13.

In case nobody remembers recent history, it was pretty common on 11/12/13 for it to take 6+ months before a release had all the weird corner cases quashed. 13.3 is no different, and it will be starting over in many ways since we have synced with upstream FreeBSD, OpenZFS and an entirely updated ports tree. This is why we run Beta / RC cycles to try and catch as many of these “fun” changes as we can.

That said, the Core / Bhyve VM functionality is indeed not supported by us directly. We just rely on upstream to improve and (hopefully) not break things. If anybody wants to go investigate and propose a patch on it for CORE, they are welcome to. We will gladly review incoming patches.

2 Likes

Appreciate the response. Right now I’m just waiting to see if other users are seeing the same issue, or if my use case is a special one. If it is, then I’ll happily do a reinstall on fresh hardware to see if that resolves the issue.

@pmh @winnielinnie If you have a minute, spin up a linux VM and see if you’re seeing the same issue.

1 Like

But some of the time was due to the version 10 release, so having extra developer time was appreciated by many end users like myself. No need for speed as accuracy in my book is more important. And while I may not agree with everything iX does, I still appreciate them and the product in use.

1 Like

Updated, no obvious problems for what little I do :wink:. Letting it run until it breaks or 13.3 RC comes out.

Thanks for the update.

2 Likes

Excellent, I will have to wait until the current replication task has finished as the current CORE replication task cannot deal with interruptions - it either completes or it fails the replication and restarts each dataset / snapshot transfer anew. Given my current transfer speed and the size of the dataset, that’ll be a while.

I take it that SCALE has the ability to keep track of what was successfully transferred and picks up where it left off. Would be great to backport the same feature into CORE.

@kris, it would make a lot sense to have the BETA2 show up with version info in the System → Upgrade UI window. The current window only shows

2 Likes

For Virtualization support - we don’t recommend running TrueNAS in a VM. This is not a recommended/supported/validated config. Baremetal should be used.

I’m referring to running VMs on TrueNAS CORE, not the other way around.

1 Like

Just to reiterate, CORE is in maintenance mode. The code-base for it and SCALE have diverged quite significantly at this point and we’re not going to be back-porting any feature functionality like that going forward.

Because both releases are in the BETA train, they will show up in that single train option. I.E. a train can have multiple releases in it, BETA{1|2|3}. When we roll an RC1 later that would end up in its own train.

Fresh install has the same issue.

On March 20 2024 Kris Moore said this:

“Yes, its 13.3 release so any bhyve fixes included will come along “For free” :)”

( ref: TrueNAS 13.3 CORE Community Contributions | Page 2 | TrueNAS Community)

Now. I’m reading this:

"As noted in the release notes the Virtual Machines features are untested and provided without support to the TrueNAS Community."

and this:

“That said, the Core / Bhyve VM functionality is indeed not supported by us directly. We just rely on upstream to improve and (hopefully) not break things. If anybody wants to go investigate and propose a patch on it for CORE, they are welcome to. We will gladly review incoming patches.”

Like @victor, I’m left wondering about the future of VM support in 13.3. AFAIK, a problem about mouse control (275760 – bhyve: xhci not working on linux guests) in graphical VMs has been sorted upstream months ago, but for some reason the fix is not in 13.3 beta2. Why is that?

A separate issue concerns awkward UEFI installs of some VMs because TrueNAS CORE has not used “BHYVE_UEFI_VARS.fd” with “bootrom,/usr/local/share/uefi-firmware/BHYVE_UEFI.fd”. Clearly that would require modification of the vm.py code, so depending on the definition of “maintenance mode” may never happen.

3 Likes

Hey,

wen i want to install Nextcloud i see this:

Error: NextCloud had a failure Exception: RuntimeError Message: pkg error: - py39-fail2ban : Refusing to fetch artifact and run post_install.sh! Partial plugin destroyed

Edit: My System is clean installed.

Assuming you are using the plugin install…
Don’t. Plug-ins are dead.

Instead use this

Scripted installation of Nextcloud 29 in iocage jail

1 Like

I switch to syncthing… it’s siple and easy… no dns or what ever…

If that is all you need then fine. But for some folks Nextcloud has a lot more to offer.

Some examples include cookbook, passwords, maps etc…

Essentially it includes everything but the kitchen sink.

1 Like

Since it has been out for a while now, I wonder what is the experience with the current BETA?

I’ve been running the Beta without issue for the last 18 days. But temper that with the fact that I only use it as a NAS, only one Plex jail which I don’t really use anymore, so I should blow that away. I’ve rebooted (not due to problems) and reboots appear fine, nothing whacky. I wish the SHELL was back but I understand why it went away, because either it couldn’t be fixed or prohibitive to be fixed. But I use SSH so not a big deal. I just looked at the bug reports to see what others may have been going through, that is probably a good place to look, found 32 tickets, 30 closed and 2 open.

Now I’m just waiting on the RC.

1 Like