TrueNAS Replication Task

Hello everyone !!

Iam trying to create a Replication Task in order to backup my files from my TrueNAS. I have a synology NAS for it.

I have already created at the synology the user for the ssh connection i have added the public ssh key from truenas but for some reason it doesnt accept the connection. Iam getting this error.

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zettarepl.py", line 654, in _handle_ssh_exceptions
    yield
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zettarepl.py", line 409, in list_datasets
    datasets = await self.middleware.run_in_thread(list_datasets, shell)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1159, in run_in_thread
    return await self.run_in_executor(self.thread_pool_executor, method, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1156, in run_in_executor
    return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 58, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/zettarepl/dataset/list.py", line 13, in list_datasets
    return [dataset["name"] for dataset in list_datasets_with_properties(shell, dataset, recursive)]
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/zettarepl/dataset/list.py", line 30, in list_datasets_with_properties
    output = shell.exec(args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/zettarepl/transport/interface.py", line 92, in exec
    return self.exec_async(args, encoding, stdout).wait(timeout)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/zettarepl/transport/interface.py", line 96, in exec_async
    async_exec.run()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/zettarepl/transport/base_ssh.py", line 32, in run
    client = self.shell.get_client()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/zettarepl/transport/base_ssh.py", line 142, in get_client
    client.connect(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/paramiko/client.py", line 435, in connect
    self._auth(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/paramiko/client.py", line 766, in _auth
    raise saved_exception
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/paramiko/client.py", line 666, in _auth
    self._transport.auth_publickey(username, pkey)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/paramiko/transport.py", line 1634, in auth_publickey
    return self.auth_handler.wait_for_response(my_event)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/paramiko/auth_handler.py", line 258, in wait_for_response
    raise e
paramiko.ssh_exception.AuthenticationException: Authentication failed.

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 139, in call_method
    result = await self.middleware._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=self)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1240, in _call
    return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 981, in nf
    return await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/replication.py", line 642, in list_datasets
    return await self.middleware.call("zettarepl.list_datasets", transport, ssh_credentials)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1283, in call
    return await self._call(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1240, in _call
    return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zettarepl.py", line 409, in list_datasets
    datasets = await self.middleware.run_in_thread(list_datasets, shell)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/contextlib.py", line 199, in __aexit__
    await self.gen.athrow(typ, value, traceback)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zettarepl.py", line 657, in _handle_ssh_exceptions
    raise CallError(repr(e).replace("[Errno None] ", ""), errno=errno.EACCES)
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EACCES] AuthenticationException('Authentication failed.')

I don’t understand the python error messages, but I’d start by looking at the authentication issue.

1. Can you ping in both directions?
  2. Can you login through ssh from the machine that initiates the Replication task?

Cheers,

Edit - changed “authentication” ==> “Replication”

You wouldn’t log into one and then log into the other from the first. You want the two machines to communicate with each other, so you set up a protocol/script/etc. to do that automatically. Like setup rsync.

I understand that.

I was suggesting that if the root cause really was “authentication”, then the keys might not have been exchanged correctly and attempting to login directly might be a way to test that.

But I’m probably wrong, so carry on…