TrueNAS SCALE Electric Eel "Call for App Testing"

So, I know custom app migration is slated for RC1, but I’m curious about the progress of natively listed apps. For example, I use native apps for Plex, Nginx Proxy Manager, and Homepage. It looks like Plex is good to go, looking at GitHub - truenas/apps, but NPM and Homepage are not yet. What’s the best way to track when they are good for migration testing? I’m really looking forward to direct Docker/compose support and very much want to test it out, but I’m not sure there’s much benefit until I can actually test the pieces I personally rely on.

I figured it out, it was the storage configuration. I always use host mounted path for storage for my apps, and when creating the datasets I select the Apps ACL for it. That has worked well so far but doesn’t for Joplin. Selecting iX volume instead worked, but I want to use host path.

In the iX volume installation I saw in the logs that the app checks and sets modify permission for user 999 (netdata), but adding that user to the ACL didn’t help. Do you know what permissions are required to make this work?

Edit: Explicitly setting netdata as owner using chown seemed to do the trick. This should probably be handled or at least mentioned in the installer when using host path.

Agreed. Could you please submit a bug report with the errors you saw and what you did to get it working? I think there’s probably room to look at making it more apparent when an app requires specific permissions for host path storage.

Done.
https://ixsystems.atlassian.net/browse/NAS-131095

Thank you. Looks like we already have some development work for RC.1 to make permissions requirements more transparent at install, so this should be less of an issue in the future.

3 Likes

Hi, did a new install with Electric Eel with a few media server applications.

Everything was very quick and installed without hitch, except for the known issues with nginx around permissions. I fixed that with a work around though and everything has been rock solid stable for the weekend.

Thanks .