TrueNAS Scale First Home / Small Business Build

Hello all,

I’m hoping you might offer your expertise / feedback / advice on my proposed TrueNAS build please. I have done much reading / thought on the matter and been a bit torn between TrueNAS and Unraid.

I am planning a build of a TrueNAS Scale machine to be used as a backup target for a home / small family business environment - around 15 people. The machine is anticiaped to see fairly light use, and only to be used as backup storage for workstations, media, and another server - no VMs etc planned at this point.

My build list is based on advice I have read here and elsewhere, and availability / affordability of components.

• Case: Fractal Design Define 7 XL (ATX).
  • Case Cooling: 3 x Fractal Design Dynamic X2 GP-14 140mm Fans (2 x front, 1 x rear).
  • Mainboard: Supermicro MBD-X11SSH-F.
  • CPU: Intel i3-7320.
  • CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 Mini CPU Air Cooler for Intel LGA 1151.
  • RAM: 4 x 16Gb Kingston DDR4 PC4-21300 2666MHz 288-pin UDIMM ECC Unbuffered.
  • OS Disks: ?
  • Data Disks: ? (8-wide RaidZ1)
  • HBA: ?
  • PSU: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850W 80+ Gold (ATX).

Questions:

1. Any glaring errors / omisssons with the above.

2. Case chose might seem odd for this use, however chosen for drive bay capacity and to fit in where it will be located.

3. CPU: Could go with an i3-7100 or i3-7300 if of any significant difference?

4. OS Disk: Intending to use 128Gb (or thereby) NMVE SSD in the M2 slot to allow use of 8 x SATA ports on the mainboard for Data Disks. I do have some Micron 512Gb SATA SSDs lying about I could use if preferable?

5. Data Disks: Not sure on data disks yet, looking at Ebay for CMR HDDs around 16TB - any suggestions / favourites? Is an 8-wide RaidZ1 VDEV reasonable, this is based on number of ports on main board and capacity needed? I am happy with risk / resilience of RaidZ1 as will have other copies of this data.

6. HBA: Not required as yet, but any suggested / favourite models? I have read the SASsy Primer :grinning:.

7: PSU: Perhaps not a traditional choice for such builds, but had it anyway.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts / guidance.

Take care.

1. No significant difference to be expected.
  2. Go for any cheap M.2 NVMe drive to keep all your SATA ports.
  3. Raidz1 is advised against with large drives: Too much data at risk after a single drive failure. Make that raidz2.
  4. Anything you saw in the SAS primer: LSI 2008, 2308, 3008 and clones (M1015, HBA330,…).
1 Like

I would use RaidZ2.

If I’m reading this right, this is your only backup of some other systems, which means if you have a drive failure, you are just one failure away from having no backups.

1 Like

Thanks both for your feedback. I accept your points on RaidZ levels and will use RaidZ2, rather than Z1, as you suggest (I know it makes sense). :slight_smile:

Hello again,

After some digging about I’m looking at going with the below disks.

OS Disk: Kioxia KBG40ZNV256G BG4 NVME M.2 2280 256GB SSD.

Data Disks WD Ultrastar HC550 WUH721816ALE604 0F38456 16TB 7.2K SATA 6Gb/s HDD (as far as I can tell these are CMR and are sutiable).

Thanks.

All fine. Mind, however, that the Ultrastar drives likely implement “3.3V power disable”, and if so you may need to power them from old-style 4-pin Molex using adapters.

2 Likes

Thanks for the confirmation and heads up for the 3.3V Power Disable, I had seen that in some of my reading but it had slipped my mind again :exploding_head:. Good to know.