TrueNAS SCALE - UPS service spams logs in "netclient" mode

I have 23.10.2 running. My UPS setup is using nut in “netclient” mode (slave). So there is no UPS connected to TrueNAS via USB/serial etc. It simply is a network client to the machine that is connected to the UPS via USB.

upsmon seems to be running correctly, the logs look okay there.

‘ups -c ups’ on the master shows the TrueNAS IP as a client.

However it seems on TrueNAS - nut-driver constantly tries to restart. I believe this is part of the nut logic that ‘scans’ for attached UPSes (nut-driver-enumerator). This results in massive journal log spam.

Here is a snippet:

Apr 19 13:49:26 truenas systemd[1]: Starting nut-driver@ups.service - Network UPS Tools - device driver for ups...
░░ Subject: A start job for unit nut-driver@ups.service has begun execution
░░ Defined-By: systemd
░░ Support: https://www.debian.org/support
░░ 
░░ A start job for unit nut-driver@ups.service has begun execution.
░░ 
░░ The job identifier is 11337276.
Apr 19 13:49:26 truenas nut-driver@ups[3920850]: FATAL: The '/etc/nut/ups.conf' file does not exist or is not readable
Apr 19 13:49:26 truenas nut-driver@ups[3920849]: FATAL: Could not find a NUT device section for service unit ups
Apr 19 13:49:26 truenas systemd[1]: nut-driver@ups.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
░░ Subject: Unit process exited
░░ 
░░ An ExecStart= process belonging to unit nut-driver@ups.service has exited.
░░ 
░░ The process' exit code is 'exited' and its exit status is 1.
Apr 19 13:49:26 truenas systemd[1]: nut-driver@ups.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
░░ Subject: Unit failed
░░ 
░░ The unit nut-driver@ups.service has entered the 'failed' state with result 'exit-code'.

Also I notice the job restart counter:

Apr 19 13:49:26 truenas systemd[1]: nut-driver@ups.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 153341.

:face_with_spiral_eyes:

For now I’ve manually stopped the nut-driver@ups.service - but I imagine that won’t survive a reboot.

I’m guessing there maybe needs to be something in middleware that can tell by the config options that we are a pure netclient only and therefore disable / stop this service ?

Also let me know if this warrants opening a Jira bug.

Thanks.

You can setup a simple post boot script.

Actually just disabling this in systemd survived a reboot so I guess this is the workaround for now.

+1: I’m still seeing this with 24.04.0

The netdata error.log has a set of these added every second:

--- BEGIN TRACE ---
Error: Connection failure: Connection refused
 --- END TRACE ---
2024-05-06 09:33:32: charts.d: : nut_ups: command 'upsc -l ' failed with code 1:
 --- BEGIN TRACE ---
 --- END TRACE ---
2024-05-06 09:33:32: charts.d: : nut_ups: command 'upsc ix-dummy-ups ' failed with code 1:
 --- BEGIN TRACE ---
 --- END TRACE ---
2024-05-06 09:33:32: charts.d: : nut_ups: command 'upsc ix-dummy-ups ' failed with code 1:
 --- BEGIN TRACE ---
 --- END TRACE ---

Same issue here on two machines running 23.10.2. One master, one slave. Disabled the nut-driver service as above. Stopped the log spam even after reboot.
I haven’t tested a ups power loss to see if it’s still actually working as expected, but will try to get that done today.

1 Like

Finally got it tested with power outage. Both server and client working as they should.