Unable to add a smb share

Hi All, I am getting this error when I try and add an SMB share:

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 198, in call_method
    result = await self.middleware.call_with_audit(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, self)
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1466, in call_with_audit
    result = await self._call(method, serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=app,
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1417, in _call
    return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/service/crud_service.py", line 179, in create
    return await self.middleware._call(
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1417, in _call
    return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/service/crud_service.py", line 210, in nf
    rv = await func(*args, **kwargs)
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema/processor.py", line 47, in nf
    res = await f(*args, **kwargs)
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema/processor.py", line 187, in nf
    return await func(*args, **kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/smb.py", line 1022, in do_create
    verrors.check()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/service_exception.py", line 70, in check
    raise self
middlewared.service_exception.ValidationErrors: [EINVAL] sharingsmb_create.path_local: SMB shares containing the apps dataset are not permitted

First time using truenas scale and slowly learning the ins and outs of the system. I initially had an error when binding to AD, when I rebooted the system the status was reporting healthy. I don’t know if this will be problematic later on?

That dataset has the apps dataset within it, as per the error you cannot create an SMB share to that dataset.

It’s a brand new install and I attempted to install an app but even that failed (attempted after the SMB portion).

You should create a dataset and share that via SMB.

1 Like

ok I didn’t realize that was the case, ill need to look up some more videos on how this works.

Thanks everyone.