Unable to install Windows Server 2003 as a VM

Dear all,

I am trying to install Windows Server 2003 as a VM on TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.2 however I keep running into issues and I was hoping someone here could help me.

I’m sure the big question will be why would I want to do that - the answer is that I have a SCALE system running in my house and I need a test environment for an old game server which was designed for Windows Media Server 2003. I’d rather not build a separate system just to test some software if I can get away with a VM.

Everytime I create a VM and try to boot a Windows Server 2003 installer I get the blue screen of death with the following error code: 0x0000007b

From what I gather this error has something to do with boot device drivers so I’m not really sure how to solve it. Any advice I found online relates to a machine where a previously working install developed this issue and could be fixed by booting from a recovery disc which is not the case here - I am trying to install it on a fresh VM.

These are my VM disk settings although I have tried to change every single of these settings but with no luck:

Would anyone be able to help me get this Windows Server 2003 installed as a VM?

I really wasn’t sure what hardware info or what VM settings are important here so I haven’t listed anything - please let me know if you need any more information and I will add it here!

Many thanks in advance!