Uncle Fester's TrueNAS Beginner's Guide

User @UncleFester, some time ago, wrote a thorough beginner’s guide for setup of FreeNAS 9.10. It seemed to me like something that belonged on a more permanent, and user-editable, location, so with his permission I wiki-fied the guide and have been hosting it on my server. I’ve recently update it to match the GUI for TrueNAS CORE 13. The guide can be found at:

I hope it will continue to be helpful. It’s undergoing major edits, mostly thanks to @Protopia, to account for scale and to bring it more up to date.

As “wiki” suggests, this site is open for edits–feel free to register for an account to add/edit/update.

Very nice!

I still feel as though some of the information I’ve seen here needs to be on the actual machine via man pages because it would be really nice to have some of that information at your fingertips–to check one-last-time before “hitting enter”. Or, in a pinch when you’ve made a mistake; remembering a wiki or webpage when you’re in “disaster recovery mode” isn’t always the first thoughts.

I don’t know about @dan but I would have no issues with iX scraping the wiki and turning them into some sort of man pages. But I don’t see that happening.

Nits:

  1. at https://wiki.familybrown.org/fester#aim-and-scope-of-this-guide the list of releases can be updated (remove CORE, and so on)
  2. at the home page, the link to Configuring TrueNAS Storage Services is not found https://wiki.familybrown.org/fester/configure-nas.

I’m too lazy to edit at the moment, sorry :slight_smile:

Both are fixed, thanks.

Thanks!

My lazy suggestion to remove CORE was based on last year’s disappearance from the software status page.

Instead, the link to archived documentation is more user-friendly.

I’m not yet willing to remove CORE completely, but tbh I probably should. This is supposed to be a beginner’s guide, after all, and a newbie to TrueNAS simply shouldn’t be using CORE in 2026. Or 2025. Or probably even 2024.

Good point.

(It’s easy to lose sight of the target audience …)